pc menu flashing

chopperk22

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys my pc just started flashing the menu on and off i have mcaffee antivirus working and didnt find virus while flashing everything just pauses any ideas any help appreciated thanks

I thought you ment the Start Menu.

Check your keyboard keys are not sticking.

The one u are interested in is the one that looks like the microsoft logo. Between the CTRL and the ALT key on the left hand side of the keyboard or the other one with the same pic next to the ALT key on the right hand side of the spacebar.

Tap it firmly a few times.

If this does not work try a different keyboard.

thanks but no joy the full desktop screen flashes on and off the only thing that stays visible is the screensaver

Hmm...could be a driver issue..??? Or a refresh rate probelm..?
Has it done any driver updates recently? Could be the video driver is up the wall, or the refresh rate has been set to high. Have you tried safe mode? You could try uninstalling the video driver, then re-install the lastest driver you can find....

got it sorted downloaded and ran windows live onecare it found viruses that mcaffee didnt and i think its sorted looks good so far and it a 90 day trial so better still was free thanks guys

Take onecare off, use free systems like ad-aware and the such for finding these viruses, failing that, and if you have the money, go out and buy symantec client firewall and AV, we use it in work, and it catches a lot of viruses, but the one which you explained, looks like a kiddie coder trying to patch his virus onto the explorer.exe process, which causes the refresh of explorer to go into a mental state.
See it all the time at work.

Nice to see that you figured it out though.

Back