PC keeps constantly freezing

icemen

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi Peeps

I'm running windows 10 pro & my pc constantly keeps freezing recently, everything freezes but the cursor can still move. Tried everything but don't know how to fix it apart from a fresh install, any help appreciated.
I have updated all drivers in device manager. It doesn't allow me to restore to previous version as it freezes while doing the operation, it's get to about 30% then the dots keep spinning on the screen but the light on the desktop next to the power button which flashes when pc is working stops so I know it's froze. I've also tried to reset pc but same issue. I did the run memory check and that runs fine no issue. I tried the scan system (sfc scannow) from the run command but also freezes at about 34%. It doesn't also allow to check for windows update as it freezes before it can update. I don't know what else to try? Will I have to do a fresh install again?

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
16GB memory
Windows 10 pro
NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Any help is appreciated
Ice

Sounds like a recent machine but it might be worth booting a Live Linux DVD to see if the problem is hardware. Of use Hiren's Boot CD to run some tests.

Yes recent machine. Shall i try install fresh windows from my usb ? Where do i get boot cd to run some tests? What you think it could be hardware fault? Like gpu or memory?

Yes recent machine. Shall i try install fresh windows from my usb ? Where do i get boot cd to run some tests? What you think it could be hardware fault? Like gpu or memory?

5 Live Linux Desktop Distributions You Should Know

Could be anything really. HIren's (if it's still available!) had a few stress testing programs in it. Go for a reinstall if you think you are due one though. I keep promising myself I'll do a perfect install with all my favourite latest programs with Acronis images along the way. Have I completed it in the four years I've had the machine?

Mine has taken to blue screening when I launch Firefox unless I leave it for a few minutes but I think that is a software issue.

Tried to flash it with my usb but that also froze? Can i do a fresh install in safe mode from my usb? Think i might need a new ssd ?

Tried to flash it with my usb but that also froze? Can i do a fresh install in safe mode from my usb? Think i might need a new ssd ?
What about faulty RAM? Try removing 1 stick at a time.

You can run a Live Linux without a HDD so that could help to indicate if it was a faulty SSD. Do try removing RAM sticks first though.

Thanks Guys i'll try remove the RAM sticks later when I'm back at home. I don't understand this live Linux, how do I download & run it? how will it check my SSD if I run it from say USB, how big does the USB have to be?

Back