PC based CCTV

DirkyDanglar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Mate.
Just 2 weeks ago I built a PC based CCTV unit to replace an old stand alone DVR.
1 thing I discovered with most of the cards available on ebay is the limited frame rate.
The card you linked to states 50 fps (PAL), that might sound ok but its actually 50 FPS shared over the 4 channels. This means lower frame rate per channel when using more than 1 channel.
I went for a 4 channel card from ebay that does 100FPS (25 per channel), and the results are great. The recommended spec for the card is P4 1.7GHZ, but recording all 4 channels, and concurrent playback of recorded footage hardly touches the CPU in my P4 2.4GHZ setup.

You also have the ability to monitor and record remotely via LAN or t'internet.
The card cost me £60 delivered from China.

Look into it a bit before making your decision to avoid wasting time and money on useless kit.

Last edited:
Hi Mate.
Just 2 weeks ago I built a PC based CCTV unit to replace an old stand alone DVR.
1 thing I discovered with most of the cards available on ebay is the limited frame rate.
The card you linked to states 50 fps (PAL), that might sound ok but its actually 50 FPS shared over the 4 channels. This means lower frame rate per channel when using more than 1 channel.
I went for a 4 channel card from ebay that does 100FPS (25 per channel), and the results are great. The recommended spec for the card is P4 1.7GHZ, but recording all 4 channels, and concurrent playback of recorded footage hardly touches the CPU in my P4 2.4GHZ setup.

You also have the ability to monitor and record remotely via LAN or t'internet.
The card cost me £60 delivered from China.

Look into it a bit before making your decision to avoid wasting time and money on useless kit.

Smokin..o0O
I have bitten the bullet and purchased a recon DELL P4 2.40 with 512mb RAM, for this project which should be fine, I must say I had not thought about the frame rate splitting between the cameras I don’t think this will be to big a problem for what I am doing but what is important is the ability to view the set up on line from my house, I was hoping the card I had seen would allow me to do that, let me know what card your using and I will have a look at it.
Cheers DD

Back