Pay TV proposal for Freeview

Gazer

Banned
Reaction score
Pay TV channels could soon be available for Freeview under plans to launch a new subscription service.

Called 'Top-Up TV', the premium package is the brainchild of former Sky executives David Chance and Ian West. The pair were one of the applicants who tendered a bid to run the DTT service after the demise of ITV Digital in 2002 but lost out to the joint BBC/Sky/Crown Castle consortium, Freeview.

Around ten channels would initially be in the lineup for the package, including the likes of E4, Sky One, TCM, Cartoon Network, UK Gold and Discovery. Top-Up TV would initially be aimed at the 1.25 million households with old ITV digital boxes and integrated digital TVs.

Subscribers would have to pay around £8 to £10 per month for the premium addon, which could launch as early as April.

The announcement is likely to anger the BBC, who have been largely successful in educating viewers about their new 'free' digital service; the launch of Top-Up TV on the platform could add to viewer confusion and slow down growth of the product.

eh?
deja vu creeping in here :)
am i on the right forum - is this the old one again?

well we figured it might be hackable to get the ball rolling now and find out as much about it as possible so if you have heard about the encryption or know someone who is working involved in this then here is the place to post :)

Regards
Mickie

i though it was not possible to change the encryption on the old stb's as if it was that easy on didge would have done it back in the old days

damage said:
i though it was not possible to change the encryption on the old stb's as if it was that easy on didge would have done it back in the old days

The CAM's are upgradeable, and indeed IT\/ digi were planning this. However its not cheap the Sec@2 cards are a lot more than v1, and they would have to send everyone one - plus the additional cost of buying the new encryption system

Back