Our Goverment gone mad

I smoke, but welcome any incentives to stop. It's only 10 quid, about three day's cigs for me

Which is £10 more than you are paying now. If the rising cost of smoking doesn't make you stop then a £10 penalty wont neither.

Ill pay it... might aswell.. Infact ill pm the local mp my bank details or i could just have my wages paid directly to the goverment..

Cant be bothered to acknowledge this press statement.. ive been a very angry person this week with all the new ideas lol...

I was going to suggest a red light tax

Everytime you stop at a red light you pay 1p tax this will help pay for the green light to stay on longer thus helping congestion.. good idea??

Which is £10 more than you are paying now. If the rising cost of smoking doesn't make you stop then a £10 penalty wont neither.
Agreed, but maybe it'd be a deterrent to someone starting. Still, just my opinion.

it is estimated that the government rake in £7billion in fag tax and the Nhs cost of smoking related treatment is £1.5billion.
Here is a rough breakdown on cost to the NHS

Heart disease £8bn
Obesity £7bn
Smoking-related disease £1.7bn
Alcohol related illness £20bn

I wonder how many of the heart desease cases are ultimately attributed to smoking ?

Here is a rough breakdown on cost to the NHS

Heart disease £8bn
Obesity £7bn
Smoking-related disease £1.7bn
Alcohol related illness £20bn

I wonder how many of the heart desease cases are ultimately attributed to smoking ?

just think if all the smokers stopped it would add to the obesity tally from all the comfort eating and what not

but from some of the logig shown in this thread thus far ie smoiking cost the nhs loads ban it-does this also mean folk who think like this want food and beer banning-should we all live on drips

to me the money from taxation on cigs seems to pay for a lot of the nhs

im a smoker and i will smoke to the day i die,im addicted to them,but i also enjoy them,the nicotine stains and smelly clothes are easily solved

but by all means get it banned---lets see how all you fatties and alkys and drivers like it then when the tax goes thru the roof-bacon buttie tax anybody

but by all means get it banned
I'm not trying to get it banned m8 I think people have a right to choose if they smoke or not, I chose to give up years ago ;) (ex smokers are the worst .. lol) Just pointing out there is a costs to people smoking

I smoke, but welcome any incentives to stop. It's only 10 quid, about three day's cigs for me, and maybe it would help stop people from starting in the first place. I wish I never started. :(

Perhaps instead of taxing ciggarets and adding this £10 licence fee their talking about, they should make smokers take out their own private medical insurance for smoking related illness, I'm sure the cost of that would help people decide

As hamba has pointed out, the title of this thread "Our Goverment gone mad" is misleading. A thread started in main news should not have a title that expresses the poster's opinion on the subject matter.

This would have been better in the Rant Room.

Perhaps instead of taxing ciggarets and adding this £10 licence fee their talking about, they should make smokers take out their own private medical insurance for smoking related illness, I'm sure the cost of that would help people decide[/QUOTE]

thats fine and as a smoker i would do that but only if my normal national insurance payments were reduced to reflect that. this country is becoming an absolute joke !!!!

thats fine and as a smoker i would do that but only if my normal national insurance payments were reduced to reflect that. this country is becoming an absolute joke !!!!

This is crazy - please read the article, it is not a government proposal but a suggestion from a health advisor.

ok ok ive held off long enough, your correct it isn't the governments idea BUT that's as far as that goes, our government WILL take it on so i don't see why people cant have a pop at them, the guy came up with the idea but at the end of the day he doesn't bring it to be, our government do. you could argue that we shouldn't have a go at our government about speed cams as it wasn't there idea, it wasn't but it WAS them that brought it in.

i see one lot raping the government and another lot saying its not the government but as far i can see no one is right or wrong here,

the fact is our government WILL be to blame and people can have a pop WHEN they bring it in regardless of who idea it was.

the buck lays with them, they say yes or no at the end of the day.

ok ok ive held off long enough, your correct it isn't the governments idea BUT that's as far as that goes, our government WILL take it on so i don't see why people cant have a pop at them, the guy came up with the idea but at the end of the day he doesn't bring it to be, our government do. you could argue that we shouldn't have a go at our government about speed cams as it wasn't there idea, it wasn't but it WAS them that brought it in.

i see one lot raping the government and another lot saying its not the government but as far i can see no one is right or wrong here,

the fact is our government WILL be to blame and people can have a pop WHEN they bring it in regardless of who idea it was.

Sorry thommo, I didn't realise that you had inside info on future government legislation proposals. My apologies. :(

(well either that or you've completely missed the point, but I'll reserve judgement on that)

Sorry thommo, I didn't realise that you had inside info on future government legislation proposals. My apologies. :(

oh and i wouldnt have replied had i known you where going to be sarcastic in reply.

The title is: Our Goverment gone mad

This is not a government proposal.

If it was the title would be fine.

I'm afraid the title, "Our Goverment gone mad", is a bit misleading.
(sorry Gentlex)
thats ok m8, its just a debate lol...

A health advisor said it and sent the proposal to the government:
Advisors make suggestions; it doesn't mean they will be taken up.
the health advisor is not an independent body! they're part of health ministry: so his proposal in theory is a goverment 1, and 9 time of 10 these proposal have been taking very seriously over the last few years ...

and my reply states the same that it isnt there idea so hence isnt a proposal, this government imo will take this on board (but i cant say that because its not fact like a lot of this thread), they find any way to make another tax buck off us, whether it be exactly as this guy wrote up or in another re-written form.

i never said it was a proposal and yet i didnt tell others not to discuss what happens if they do take it on,

i believe they will and im intitled to that opinion and i wont be swayed or ridiculed with sarcastic replies, i wont be looked down apon because i dont agree with someone elses view.

the problem lays in the fact the thread title is wrong and not the posts within it.

the problem lays in the fact the thread title is wrong and not the posts within it.

That is all I am saying.

(Although it is clear that some people haven't read the article properly, before commenting.)

I can't see the proposal being taken on - it would be mad!

Back