Our Goverment gone mad

gentlex

Inactive User
Reaction score
Call for annual £10 smoking licence

Forcing smokers to apply for a £10 permit to buy cigarettes could help people to quit, a government health adviser said.

Professor Julian Le Grand, chairman of Health England, said more people might stop smoking if they had to "opt in" by applying for an annual permit and paying a £10 fee.

"Some 70% of smokers actually want to stop smoking. So if you just make it that little bit more difficult for them to actually re-start or even to start in the first place, yes I think it will make a big difference," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

He said some people would be deterred from smoking if they had to make the effort to fill in a complicated form, get a photograph taken and pay a charge.

"It's a little bit of a problem to actually do it, so you have got to make a conscious decision every year to opt in to being a smoker," he added.

The proposal is one of Health England's suggestions for preventing illness which has been sent to health minister Lord Darzi

Simon Clark, of smokers' rights group Forest, said the smoking permit proposal was outrageous.

"We are becoming not just a nanny state but a bully state," he said.

"Smokers already face record levels of taxation and this would be another financial hit on them. Tobacco is a perfectly legal product.

"There are a whole host of things out there that are potentially dangerous. If smokers are targeted in this way, it's a very short step to slapping a similar charge on anyone who wants to buy alcohol or any other product ministers don't approve of."

pa.press.net - 16.02.2008 10:49

WTF has it got to do with them if i smoke,what a fcuking joke this goverment is,next it will be a permit to drink alcohol,FFS.

I can just see all the prisons full of 'smoke tax dodgers' who refused to pay their fine.

What a pile of cack.

with the price of fags going up, and people not allowed to smoke in pubs and clubs, more people than ever are giving up. this amounts to millions in lost revenue from the tax on tobacco every day. this 'permit' is a way of claiming some of that 'missing tax' back, but it will only make even more people give up, which will mean even less revenue, so the tax will have to come from somewhere else

as they cant tax air, they will make a small mask that you have to wear, and you will be taxed for every time you breath out, increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere

i can hold my breath for nearly 3 mins (might explain a few things lol) so ill be better off lol

i,ll see you lot on the inside.....i wont get one feck them, everyone will just buy abroad instead losing more tax for them.

Thats totally stupid. They keep putting price of ciggies up in an effort to cut down and that aint worked. And this aint either.
Will bringing ciggies from abroad be illegal if you are a visitor or uk citizen without a permit?
Damn stupid.

I used to smoke but stopped years ago. Damn I miss those B&H's

haha tax a smoker ffs an give a heroin addict free methodon what is this country coming 2

yep tax the hell out of it discusting habit tbh

and then cut the price of fuel

I'm afraid the title, "Our Goverment gone mad", is a bit misleading.
(sorry Gentlex)

Forcing smokers to apply for a £10 permit to buy cigarettes could help people to quit, a government health adviser said.

A health advisor said it and sent the proposal to the government:

The proposal is one of Health England's suggestions for preventing illness which has been sent to health minister Lord Darzi

Advisors make suggestions; it doesn't mean they will be taken up.

yep tax the hell out of it discusting habit tbh

and then cut the price of fuel

it fine you saying that but where will it stop ,,drinking must cost us more in the long run then smoking ,,so are we going to start putting the price up for that to let say add 65% tax to a point of beer that about the same as the smoker is paying but wait why stop there
i am sure there are lots of other thing that are bad for us why not add more tax to them

more people than ever are giving up. this amounts to millions in lost revenue from the tax on tobacco every day
The revenue lost though is not a patch on what they would save on NHS tratment for Smoking related deseases if just half of smokers stopped smoking

it fine you saying that but where will it stop ,,drinking must cost us more in the long run then smoking ,,so are we going to start putting the price up for that to let say add 65% tax to a point of beer that about the same as the smoker is paying but wait why stop there
i am sure there are lots of other thing that are bad for us why not add more tax to them

yep. In a nutshell m8.

it is estimated that the government rake in £7billion in fag tax and the Nhs cost of smoking related treatment is £1.5billion.
The revenue lost though is not a patch on what they would save on NHS tratment for Smoking related deseases if just half of smokers stopped smoking

Cheers Dave. I also found this link which generally agrees with your figures.
Personally, I smoke, but welcome any incentives to stop. It's only 10 quid, about three day's cigs for me, and maybe it would help stop people from starting in the first place. I wish I never started. :(

i agree beady,but it`s up to the individual if they want to quit that`s their choice,if someone wants to quit that bad there is plenty of help out there.
Cheers Dave. I also found this link which generally agrees with your figures.
Personally, I smoke, but welcome any incentives to stop. It's only 10 quid, about three day's cigs for me, and maybe it would help stop people from starting in the first place. I wish I never started. :(

Back