Our chances at the World Cup

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
just reading around the various footy sites and forums and was wondering what people opinions are on our (and by that i mean england lol) chances are at the world cup??

IMO i think we may struggle, we have the right manager but we havent got the players. i mean personally i think we look really weak all over. if u really think bout it and analyse the first 11 and squad as a whole we look poor..

goalkeeper, left back with cole injured, left wing, right wing & tht one spot up front next to rooney, we look well short tbh.. apart from rooney our players havent really performed for their teams..

terry havin a stinker of season by his standards, rio hasnt been able to stay fit, gerrard & lumplard cant play together & have been poor and our backup doesnt look good either... even johnson at right back doesnt fill me with confidence.. lennon/swp/walcott, either injured or inconsistent. becks/owen out. joe cole wont make if he isnt playing for chelski, dont think hargreaves will make it and the list goes on with the likes of barry, carrick, upson etc...

u look at spain who are the favourites and look at the players: villa, torres, silva, alonso, fabregas, iniesta, xavi, puyol, ramos, casillas etc and i just think we look desperately short tbh.

i know it depends on how the teams plays/gels at the tournament, morale of the squad, luck of the draw, luck in general etc but i dunno.. i think capello with the world cup squad of 2006 woulda done well and gone far.

so what d'ya think guys? :)

Last edited:
As you said, all depends what they do in the tournament, Spain have almost always let themselves down, except the last Euros but they have amazing players.

I think if players stay fit then Eng have a good chance and good luck to them.

hopefully they get a bit of luck and rooney keeps his form then maybe final but thats fingers crossed, i'd be happy with semi's though

Without rooney we will struggle.

But to be honest I do not think we can win the competition unless we have a serious amount of good fortune (luck lol). There are some great teams in the comp like spain, portugal, argentina, do not forget the surprise team also lol ;)

Rooney will need to stay fit whatever happens.

Semi final prediction from me.

Mickie

Rooney is obviously going to be the main man for England but for me the players that will prove themselves will be Barry/Carrick in the defensive role. If 1 of those 2 can play to their highest level against the likes of Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc then I cna see us going very far even daring to say the Final.

The defence is the worst part of the England team with Terrys season going from bad to worse, Rio with his injury concerns, Cole is injured and has personal problems, Johnson very good at going forward but 1 of the worst defenders I have seen in a England shirt. As for the goalkeepers there isn't 1 I would have as a first 11 player if I were a club manager.

Calamity James - Name says it all
Rob Green - Decent Goalkeeper but not International standard
Ben Foster - Not playing for Utd, shouldn't be in squad
Paul Robinson - Possibly my best English goalie atm
Joe Hart - Having a blinder of a season but no big experience
Scott Carson - High profile errors

Then you look at the other big teams and they all have superb goalkeepers and that for me is the backbone to winning tournaments

Defo need Rooney to be there as its already been said and Gerrard and Lampard CANNOT play together in any formation or under any manager. In the same aquad yes but if its a swap for a swap cos they are both the same player. Think Carrick or Barry holding mid so Gerrard can push on.
Shame about Hargreaves really and we need to get a dedicated No1 keeper but whoever we get they just don't seem to be good enough. Whats Shilton doin these days lmao

Back