OpenBox Networking

Hi edogg,

It sounds to me like the boxes you are looking after actually manage to pick up a DHCP address from their local router, over the LAN in their respective homes.

I use my linux box as a gateway to the internet. I'm not trying to share media from the Openbox.

I will try a firmware update and if there is still no joy I will speak to the supplier.

Thank you for your help.

Hi mate,
It sounds like you are trying to do something the box simply cannot do. Like edogg has previously advised , get a cline and test it that way. The Openbox is certainly no gateway to the internet , it is a satellite box first and foremost , that connects to the internet to allow viewing of paytv through c/s. Hence get a test cline.

my advice is to connect your openbox direct to your router not through the linux server it would seem to me that the server is the problem as openboxes need a direct feed for the internet and satellite feed

edogg

Guys, thank you for your help but sorry, you're not actually helping.

a) I'm not trying to use the OpenBox for anything apart from a satellite receiver - for which I believe it has been designed and manufactured to do. I'm in no way trying to use it as a gateway. For it to act as a client, you need to connect it to a network and assign it an IP address.

b) The linux box concerned, acts as a DHCP server, a NIS server an internet proxy/cache and as a Firewall. The router you talk about is a broadband USB modem actually connected directly to the USB port of the server.
I've been in IT and Networks for some 20+ years and do know my way around.
edogg, sorry, you're completely incorrect about your direct internet connection assumption. For anything to communicate accross the internet it needs to have some sort of addressing mechanism. i.e. an IP address (Internet Protocol) This, if my OpenBox was working would be assigned from my DHCP server. But as it's not getting one I can only assume that my OpenBox isn't working correctly.

have you checked on the menu >> network setup>> network setup DHCP off it will get an address like 192.168.001.00? and with dhcp on it will not show you what the address is but it will still connect to the internet unless
(a) the network card is faulty
(b) the sever/router is blocking it
if (a) send it back to your supplier like i said several posts back, if it is (b) you know your way round so unblock it

edogg

having dhcp on or off makes no difference this box will connect in either case

Does anyone know of anyone that has had problems with the NIC on their OpenBox?

yes i have said in one of my posts that a motherboard had to be returned by swanside because it would not connect to the internet i didnt just make it up the post was on here sometime ago

edogg

yes i have said in one of my posts that a motherboard had to be returned by swanside because it would not connect to the internet i didnt just make it up the post was on here sometime ago

edogg

It does sound like the motherboard is faulty at this stage.

I have exactly the same problem as evan mentioned. Everything else is fine - but CANNOT network the box. It is not communicating with the router whether with dhcp or manually configured.

read post 25 a few openboxes have faulty nic cards on the motherboard if it wont connect to the internet with a cline ( the only way these boxes connect to a network) then it is faulty

edogg

It was a faulty NIC9020 chip, the bugger is about the same size as your little finger nail. It cost me £5.56 to send back to china, but I had to buy another 10 boxes to get it back otherwise it was about £50 for the return.
I dont know if you can prepay at the post office for send and return?

Mine actually works now, without having to send it back.
What I understood was that on occasion the openbox would reset when going from local to internet access. and that lets say after 90sec of messsing about and the box resetting,, you should get peace!!!!!

xX

I have exactly the same problem as evan mentioned. Everything else is fine - but CANNOT network the box. It is not communicating with the router whether with dhcp or manually configured.

Mine actually works now, without having to send it back.
What I understood was that on occasion the openbox would reset when going from local to internet access. and that lets say after 90sec of messsing about and the box resetting,, you should get peace!!!!!

xX

mine has never reset it just connects and works even if the router is turned off and back on the openbox reconnects with no problem

edogg

Sorry, when I say local to internet access, what I meant was, when changing say, dhcp to manual or visa-versa the Openbox would on occasion reset itself once you made that change. I found that once it did that it would access the network ok.

now youv'e done it mine just neede rebooting trying that it must be then latest firmware because it didnt do that before

edogg

Sorry, when I say local to internet access, what I meant was, when changing say, dhcp to manual or visa-versa the Openbox would on occasion reset itself once you made that change. I found that once it did that it would access the network ok.

Thanks for that mate - turned out to be the same :)

i can't set the IP ... coz they give : XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX three digit ... my Ip range 192.168.0.XXX i confuse to set in the range ... i don't want set it DHCP coz i can't set the speed if the it IP change every reboot . anybody can solve it???

just set as 192.168.xxx.xxx with leading zero's it will be fine

edogg

Its possible anyone else experiencing this issue may have lost the will to live by the time they get far into the thread but basically yes I think there is an issue. Just got an S10 openbox and mine came set to use DHCP by default but did not pick up an address.

When I tried to set it to manual and enter new details it just rebooted itself, everytime. Finally I figured out that you should remove the Network cable from the box when changing the network settings. Then it won't reboot.

I have never heard of that happening but any changes to cline or firmware require a reboot to activate them so maybe the s10 firmware has this built into it because it is needed and people did not realise this when making changes

edogg

Back