OpenBox Networking

evan_almighty

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Got my new OpenBox on friday, and can't get it to network at all. It won't pick up a DHCP address from my linux server and if I assign an address manually it still doesn't ping. Has anyone come across this before?

Could it be a firmware thing? If so how do I find out what version of firmware it is that I've currently got?

Many Thanks

as far as i know the openbox does not have network capabilities to find the firmware version menu >> tools >>information

edogg

The S9 will network using DHCP and you can enter lines using USB and the remote ~ look at the S9 tuts for connecting to a network router.
Here is one

sorry but where does that say anything about connecting to a network through a router or a pc a usb drive or rs232 is not a network connection

edogg

This is the bit of the tutorial you will need

Now you will probably need to set your network up, so again enter the Menu -> Network Local Setting and set DHCP to ON, if your router is not DHCP compatable you will need to manually configure the settings, once you have done that click Apply and exit.

Using DHCP is far easier than manually assigning an IP to your box if you are not comfortable with playing around with your router.

Sorry guys, don't think I've made myself very clear here.
I have a linux server on my home network which is setup to give out a range of IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x area.
This works fine and regularly assigns addresses to my laptop, daughters laptops etc. The range is from 50 to 100, so no issues there.

I've just bought an OpenBox and set it up, but as I say, when I connect it to the network, using a known working cable, tested to my laptops RJ45 Ethernet connector, the OpenBox doesn't appear to try to get an address, with the dhcp setting set to on. Also a bit worryingly, if I assign a manual IP address on the OpenBox I still cannot ping it. i.e. an IP address outside of the dhcp range.

I was led to believe that OpenBox is running a cut down version of Linux, isn't that right?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please reply!

Many Thanks

Aha, the firmware revision reads HDS2-10-11-08:1034CMT
I take it that means it's 8th November 2010?

So I can therefore load the latest and hopefully get some bugs fixed ?

Sorry guys, don't think I've made myself very clear here.
I have a linux server on my home network which is setup to give out a range of IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x area.
This works fine and regularly assigns addresses to my laptop, daughters laptops etc. The range is from 50 to 100, so no issues there.

I've just bought an OpenBox and set it up, but as I say, when I connect it to the network, using a known working cable, tested to my laptops RJ45 Ethernet connector, the OpenBox doesn't appear to try to get an address, with the dhcp setting set to on. Also a bit worryingly, if I assign a manual IP address on the OpenBox I still cannot ping it. i.e. an IP address outside of the dhcp range.

I was led to believe that OpenBox is running a cut down version of Linux, isn't that right?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please reply!

Many Thanks

Aha, the firmware revision reads HDS2-10-11-08:1034CMT
I take it that means it's 8th November 2010?

So I can therefore load the latest and hopefully get some bugs fixed ?

yes you can load the latest firmware although i have not noticed any difference in any updates since october when the server was instigated other wise it is only added language's
Like i said the openbox is not capable of networking if you want to share your card round the house you will need to setup a cline on the server and openbox to server = 192.168.?.? the linux server ip adress port username password

this works

edogg

sorry but where does that say anything about connecting to a network through a router or a pc a usb drive or rs232 is not a network connection

edogg

Whilst the S9 is not an open Linux based STB and can't be ftp'd, it WILL network to a router through its network connection ~how else would it go on line to use its softcam capabilities. Whilst early firmware only allowed client access, I hear that some later f/w versions may allow it it be used also as a server. My S9 has been working on line as a client since September and is clearly shown on my network manager.

Hu guys,

Thanks for your replies so far.
Yes, that's what I'm getting at, I need to be able to network it, so that it can act as a client. I understand that it can't be used as a server.

But so far I cannot get it to network at all. So it doesn't request a DHCP address, nor is it pingable when I assign it an address manually.

Could someone check that they can ping theirs on their own network when they have an address assigned, to rule out port blocking for me?

Any other ideas, firmware issue maybe?

Many Thanks

Evan m8

I can ping my box OK ~ with DHCP off, my IP address is shown as 192.186.001.108 ~ that address does NOT ping but if I ping it as 192.168.1.108 then it does ping back OK.

hyper:Clap:

well with a f line on the linux server and the cline in CCcam Client setup on the s9 it works very well as a client but as for doing anything with it on the lan it cant be done

edogg

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.
It's just as a client I want to use it.
But like I say I can't get it on the network. :-(
I'm just pinging it using it's standard IP address, without extra 000's i.e. 192.168.1.5

And I can't get a response at all.
Could this be the firmware revision?

Thanks all

hi evan

my openbox s9 have the same ip address: 192.168.001.008, and when i ping il on my computer i just put like this:
c:\ping 192.168.1.8
then i have answer with 0% lost packets.
so, you want, try to release all and then renew all your ip address, i have the same problem in the firt time when i wanted to configur my box to my home network.
regards.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.
It's just as a client I want to use it.
But like I say I can't get it on the network. :-(
I'm just pinging it using it's standard IP address, without extra 000's i.e. 192.168.1.5

And I can't get a response at all.
Could this be the firmware revision?

Thanks all

you just need to enter the cline in CCcAm client setup and fline in the linux server there is no need to ping it have you connected a network cable between your router and the openbox
it is a really easy box to setup sharing on have a look at the setup guide in the stickys at the top of this section

edogg

Hi edogg,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you're understanding my problem.
I do have a cable connected from the openbox to my router, yes.

But that doesn't help when the network adapter/card (NIC) on the openbox doesn't activate its network settings. i.e. it doesn't do this by dhcp, nor does it do it when I give it an ip address manually.
Basically it won't connect to my LAN and I'm wondering if anyone knows why?

When I enter an address manually, the address hasn't previously been used and is not in the block range that I use for DHCP, also, the subnet address matches the rest of my network, being a C-class 255.255.255.0 and my gateway settings are also correct, even though this isn't needed to access the local LAN.

So, has anyone any ideas?

Many Thanks

the open box will not connect to a lan like a linux box it will share through the internet and cccam mgcamd or newcs

if entering the cline doesn't work then you might have a faulty motherboard i have heard of some that will not connect to the internet which is all you need to do so send it back to your supplier for a replacement

edogg

Last edited:
Hi edogg,

It has to connect to the LAN in order to connect through to the internet to be able to access cccam on servers. To be able to do that it has to be able to have an IP address assigned to it, either manually or via DHCP.

When an IP address is assigned to a normal networkable device, i.e. NAS, Router, P.C., XBox or Wii even then you should be able to ping that address under normal circumstances. The openbox is networkable as a client and should therefore be pingable when it is assigned an address.

As I cannot assign an IP address to it I cannot

a) ping it

or

b) Attach it to the LAN to enable it to get onto the internet in order to pick up any ccam servers via a cline.

regards

Evan

I have never even tried to ping mine i am resposible for 3 boxs 2 of them are with family who have no idea how they are getting the satellite channels all i do is set them up with a channel list enter the cline set up the colours and screen resolution connect the satellite feed and network cable and watch tv

if doing this does not work you have a faulty box as in previous post I have known of some boxes that have faulty network cards and they should be replaced by the supplier

edogg

i have just read your hello post and you say you dont have a cline so what is your linux server doing are you trying to share media over your network the openbox is not compatible with doing this it is a tv viewing recording box and nothing else when you have a cline and have entered it you will have connected to the internet you are trying to do things with this box that are not possible it is for watching satellite tv end of

Last edited:
Back