oops what have I blown. :(

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My dads internet has been playing up, spoke with sky over a week ago and by removing the master socket faceplate we got the internet going again. Engineer was due to turn up last week but no calls so in having time to think about it I decided to remove the wiring from the face plate (not mastersocket). Then I put face plate back in and interet was still good. This lead me to believe there is a fault on the internal wiring. (dads been doing some diy).So sky enginner going tomorrow but to try and save him some money i decided to check for a short across the internal wires. Bared they back and checked for a short with my multimeter. No short shown so decided to try one cable at a time but as soon as I put the wires into the face plate and back into mastersocket the phone lines died and internet is off. No dial tone. Can you blow a mastersocket?

yes you can, but by doing what you did I dout it but I spose it could happen...

what I would do to test the line coming in is, put the 2 bear wires on the 2 outside of the plug coming from the phone. its can be a bit tricky. pick up the phone and then see if you got dial tone then you know your master socket is duff.

all the master socket does is make the phone ring.

I've run out of time engineer due tomorrow I've put the wires back into the faciaplate and told them I'll pay if they get charged

Well sky engineer has been and looked at the problem and said everything is ok internal (phew) and its a major openreach issue. Left a new router and bugger off. Dads called sky and they say it now down to openreach and they won't need access to the house. I think its usually 24-48 hours for a call.

Back