Only Fools and Horses to get US remake

gav12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Only Fools and Horses to get US remake

Only Fools and Horses is to be remade for a US audience, with Robin Williams rumoured to be playing Uncle Albert.

The classic British sitcom will be penned for ABC network by Scrubs writers Steven Cragg and Brian Bradley.

It follows brothers Derek 'Del Boy' and Rodney Trotter's attempts to get rich quick by inventing dubious schemes and shifting questionable products, although the format will likely have to be adapted for an American audience.

The show was a huge success in the '80s and '90s, with 24 million people tuning in to its Christmas special. It has regularly topped polls of the greatest ever sitcoms.

It has also been been re-dubbed in many countries and spawned spin-offs The Green Green Grass and more recently Rock & Chips, with creator John Sullivan dying in April aged 64.

This will in fact not be the first international remake of the show, with the BBC series being reworked as Wat Schuift't? in The Netherlands and Brat Bratu in Slovenia, where Del Boy swapped his Reliant Robin for a camper van.

No actors have as yet been confirmed for the project, but Jason Biggs of American Pie fame has been tipped to play Rodney, while Robin Williams could be in line to play Uncle Albert.

Only Fools and Horses to get US remake | Metro.co.uk

i agree no way will it be like ours no matter who stars in it will never touch our classic

I've seen too many US spin offs and they are generally awful. Last one I saw was Being Human, great BBC program killed with a US remake, just like the office.

I agree with You all, it'll never work. The most recent US remake I saw was Shamless, it was To tame didn't seem the same.

surely the yanks would have seen the original ?

whats the point in trying to copy a classic, it will only be ruined

warlord

Aw FFS, is there nothing sacred!
HH.

Bet it still won't be as bad as that shite David Jason has just been in tonight, where he is a royal bodyguard. It's like something from the 70's.

Obviously he or his mother wants a bungalow (remember Peter Kay's tour) :Biggrin2:

To British people the US ripoffs are never as good, we just don't share the same sense of humour as the Americans. But to them it may do well, the office did really well over there for a few seasons.

There are enough people over there that are too young, or have just never seen the originals, that remakes tend to be marginally successful.

Plus if it means that the Americans give us more money in royalties then good on them, means that we should be able to make more shows. I'm sure the £5 billion they got from the TV tax last year wasn't enough.

Back