Onlive cloud gaming is here are you bothering

Onlive will you bother

• Total voters

marra

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all just trying to find out if anyone is signed up or even going to be bothering with onlive it was launched on the 22nd sept and tbh i think its the future of consoles have a look at the thread below its a link to the offer in the bargain section that ends on the 28th and the 2nd one is for more info

Bargain
More Info

if you fancy a look you can register a account for free and just have a go at the demos with game downloads at all you will literally be playing in no time all you need to do is install the onlive app from there site again the link below.

Onlive Site

all you need is a minimum of 3mb broadband speed and recommended is 5mb dependent on the size of your tv. In a nutshell this will let you play the latest games without having to fork out for pc upgrades you can use netbooks, android tablets in some cases anything that is capable of playing youtube videos i believe will be good enough to play even the high end/spec games.

I know this sounds like im trying to sell it to you lol but tbh the deal thats about finishes on the 28th and its sods law that every man and his dog will be wanting a go this time next week so im not posting the same stuff twice have a look at the bargain link the offer contains a free console as part of the offer, cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
try it again m8 if you get the chance it was weird the 1st time i tried i got a bit of lag playing dirt ive used it a lot since and it never happened again, The 1st time i tried was on the day of launch and apparently there were teething problems so i put the lag down to that.

I tried it last night for a couple of hours, just playing demos and being a stalker/spectator. I was impressed at the smoothness and usability, but the graphics left a lot to be desired, also didn't see much game choice.

They wont be getting my money.

I didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread.

I've grabbed it and played the demo of dirt3 which ran perfectly smooth and was very responsive. I'm impressed but I think their prices are crazy.

£6 to play a game for 1 month that you'll never actually own?! Not too bad I suppose if you just want to complete a game then forget about it.

I'll be keeping an eye on it but they really need to improve their games catalogue.

I didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread.

I've grabbed it and played the demo of dirt3 which ran perfectly smooth and was very responsive. I'm impressed but I think their prices are crazy.

£6 to play a game for 1 month that you'll never actually own?! Not too bad I suppose if you just want to complete a game then forget about it.

I'll be keeping an eye on it but they really need to improve their games catalogue.

i think you may have it wrong mate its £6.99 to play 100+ games you will never actually own lol and any 1 of them would cost you about £10 in the shop and the games that you would buy on a ps3 or xbox are roughly the same price which imo is wrong they should be cheaper no packaging or manufacture etc there are other overheads though but if they expect to atract more people they will need to be cheaper than discs etc. if you buy a game like say dirt 3 they will support that game for at least 3 years and if its still being played they will continue to support it, but lets be honest dirt 5 or 6 would be out then and i bet the're not many people still playing games that are 3 years old and if they are the're are probably a lot of people still playing the same game so in theory the game would be still supported. But why do we need to be able to physically hold the game i like having them sat there gathering dust but you still own it regardless of where its kept its just you cant see it and the only thing imo you loose is you cant flog it on ebay which will be the same with discs soon when they get round to introducing the codes like pc games have, I think their catalogue will get a lot better but bare in mind it was launched less than a week ago and in that respect i think its pretty impressive.

Last edited:
If you pay the £6.99 do you get to play games like Saint Row 3 or do you still have to pay the £30-£40 for those games as well as the £6.99.

If you have to pay the £30-£40 to rent the game (literally what you are doing) they must be on a grand crack, even if there's only 100 peeps get the game they have earned £300-£400 for a game they would have got at least at wholesale price, probably £25, then just installed it on their servers.

To be honest regardless of how good the service is or how good the games play I think it's a rip off to charge so much for just the ability to play a game, and you have to rely on your broadband to be able to play it, if you move house or there's a problem and your broadband provider changes you may end up screwed and out of pocket. You can take a disc with you, or pass it on when your are done with it, maybe even get some money back.

Regarding their catalogue you would think it would be much better seeing as it's been going over a year in the states. you say £6.99 for 100+ games, but I couldn't find 50 games, maybe I couldnt see the full catalogue because I didnt pay though.

Dont get me wrong as it's each to their own, but I think you'd have to be mad to pay near full price to rent a game, one you'll never own.

If you pay the £6.99 do you get to play games like Saint Row 3 or do you still have to pay the £30-£40 for those games as well as the £6.99.
no mate you get other games what have been out previous like just cause 1+2 off the top of my head but if you take the 6.99 a month thing you get 30% off the 30-40 games so best thing to do is when you want to order a full priced game take out the months sub and you end up getting the game with the mth sub for 28-36 then cancel the monthly sub afterwards.

If you have to pay the £30-£40 to rent the game (literally what you are doing) they must be on a grand crack, even if there's only 100 peeps get the game they have earned £300-£400 for a game they would have got at least at wholesale price, probably £25, then just installed it on their servers.
you are probably right with that bit mate which should make it cheaper for our end which is a bit naughty but it is a business i suppose, I understand the rent bit but i dont see that as much as a problem personally because i dont think ive ever had a game that i bought then still been playing 3 years on but i get your point.

To be honest regardless of how good the service is or how good the games play I think it's a rip off to charge so much for just the ability to play a game, and you have to rely on your broadband to be able to play it, if you move house or there's a problem and your broadband provider changes you may end up screwed and out of pocket. You can take a disc with you, or pass it on when your are done with it, maybe even get some money back.
this is the main point i think, but on the other hand discs can get damaged quite easily if not looked after or you have kids and as for moving them on i totally agree with this unless they did some kind of trade in with onlive that would make me happier. Personally i dont think its a rip off but as you say its everyone to there own imo if you bought 5 games here insted of on the xbox you will pay roughly the same price and once there paid for you dont need to pay anything ever again if you dont want too if anyone bought the £1 game and finished it they could still go back in 2 years and play the same game without paying anything just as you would with any disc game.

Regarding their catalogue you would think it would be much better seeing as it's been going over a year in the states. you say £6.99 for 100+ games, but I couldn't find 50 games, maybe I couldnt see the full catalogue because I didnt pay though.
your right here too, tbh i only heard about onlive for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago and never thought about the US. I think your right about the last bit too i will check when i get a min to see exactly how many games i got in the playpack.

Dont get me wrong as it's each to their own, but I think you'd have to be mad to pay near full price to rent a game, one you'll never own.
Sorry mate dont agree here lol, the near full price bit i agree it should be cheaper but the ownership bit is the part i dont agree with imo if you can access it anytime i would call that ownership but i can see your point if you dont physically have it.

Just out of intrest mate have you ever bothered with PSN or Xbox live games i suppose that is the same thing and have you ever bought a game that you where still playing 3 years later?

Last edited:
Just out of intrest mate have you ever bothered with PSN or Xbox live games i suppose that is the same thing and have you ever bought a game that you where still playing 3 years later?

I dont have an xbox, just a PS3. I have bought games from PSN, quite a few smaller ones and only a couple of biggies, like Burnout Paradise and Pain. The main difference is that when you buy a PSN game it downloads to your PS3 and you don't have to be online to play it, you can take your PS3 anywhere and play it regardless of internet connection. This is good seeing as I put a CFW on my PS3 earlier this year and now cannot get onto PSN but I can still play the games I purchased.

I do understand where you are coming from, and I probably wont be playing the games in 3 years, but at least I can keep them if I do want to, same as I could with discs.

Personally I just don't like paying out good money and not having anything to show for it, ether disc or download. I do buy a lot of software for my PC and it's all downloaded so I can store it.

I've also used LoveFilm to rent PS3 games, and ripped a few (need CFW tho :) )

lol i did something similar i put cfw on my ps3 last year and bought a 2nd for online ive literally not turned my cfw one on since im all for online play which is starting to make sense now with me being so happy with onlive lol another benefit of downloads on ps3 is you can go back and get them anytime if you format etc providing you can get on psn and if you cant just download them and reinstall the psn games lol pain is fantastic i absolutely nailed that, the cfw ps3 is going on ebay i think it defiantly wont get played on when mw3 is out thats what happened when i got blackops, thanks for all the replies mate if anyone is considering onlive they will defiantly get all the pros and cons from this thread. Anyway after all that i still havent set up my onlive console if i can put the ps3 controller down ill get on that tonight i got full prestige last night on cod so im onto gt5 now chances are fifa will turn up in the post in the morning, since i quit smoking i cant stop spending funny thing is when starwars old republic comes out for pc at christmas none of the above will get played lol.

Back