Linux one for HimHer.... open vpn

neorage

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
now i have me a pi, not any old pi but a raspberry pi.

im reading up on openvpn and getting lost a little bit as im used to working with gui's, however not shy of command prompts and shell scripts.. just not sure what im googling for :s

basically want to set up my pi to allow me access to my lan over the wan.. however i dont just want to have basic encryption..

so followed the tutorials to set up rsa keys..

now the issue i have is user friendliness as i want the other half (30 miles away) be able to login using simple username and password but get the rsa encryption so that my vpn cannot be hacked....

i do hope that makes sence..

problem ive found so far is i need to give her the various ca files to enable access.. is there anyway she can login using a simple login and allow the rsa keys to be sent t her persay allowing the more secure tunnel?

Eliminating a couple of provisos...

1 - PPTP isn't too bad in encryption terms and easiest to set up
2 - VPN is best handled by router/firewalls
3 - OpenVPN is not supported on the majority of mobile devices

However, and I haven't done this on the PI but, it looks pretty much the same as any Debian distro. The certificate files are quite small so you could send her a USB key or some other media or e-mail in a password-protected zip. You'll need an OpenVPN client installed on her device then copy the certificate files to wherever the client is looking.

This wiki should point you in the right direction for the Raspberry setup. Ensure the subnets at either end are different i.e. if your network is 192.168.0.0/24 then hers can be anything BUT 192.168.0.0/24 and watch out for the routing gotcha - when you set up the tunnel you create virtual interfaces, you need to add routes to get the systems to use them!

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Don't forget to allow port 1194 through to the Raspberry!

Last edited:
Back