Old Sounblaster Cards/Windows 7 64bit compatible

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
Hi all
Just thought i would share this with those wondering if their old creative soundard is Windows 7 compatible.
Have always built my own systems up to now, but decided to buy Acer aspire Intel Quad with Windows 7 Home premium 64bit OS pre installed.
As with most off the shelf systems, the onboard graphics & sound are OK for most applications, but could be upgraded with dedicated and upgraded cards installed.
This i did with a silent (fanless) PCI express graphics card as i have never been a avid fan of using Shared Ram for graphics (even if the PC has got 4Gig!).
I do like my Music and have always had a good Speaker setup & sound card to match.
To tried my Altec Lansing setup with the on board Realtek sound and what a let down compared to the 5.1 digital Audigy Card in my old system.
bearing in mind that the old System was built some years ago running XP , i did not think for a minute that the old Soundcard would have Windows 7 drivers for it (let alone 64bit!).
But to my complete amazement that Creative have Win 7 driver support for older soundcards going back to the old Audigy 1 and older cards.
So the £100+ that i paid for the Card all those years ago, was worth every penny and is working perfectly in my new machine without any issues!
Sounds great & i'm happy at not having the expense of a new card.
Maybe others should take a leaf out of Creatives book and continue up to date support for older Hardware.
So its nice to know that your hard earned cash spent on a decent sound card wont be obsolete when the next 2 generations of OS have arrived!
Well done Creative.:Clap::banana::Clap::banana:

I have been surprised at the level of driver support in Windows 7. When I first installed it after buying a new SSD hard drive I thought I would have to dig out all the disks and look for Vista drivers. The PC is madeup and some of the componants have not been upgraded for ages, but Windows 7 got the lot without the need for any disks, even an old webcam that never worked in Vista.

Back