Old car uplift

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a Rover 414 that I was intending to finish the cylinder head on, I have ran out of time and need the space, I have put it on Gumtree with no offers.

I have seen some ads in the paper for uplifts with upto £150/180 paid, are they any good?

I think £50-£60 is more like the going rate m80 & I don't think you'd get much more than that, taking it in to a scrapyard.

I saw something on the box recently that said the price of scrap cars is rising at the moment, because the value of the metal is going up.

The closest scrapyard to me are paying £85 per tonne for light iron/car shells etc. There is another yard about 7 mile from me paying £100 per tonne, and they will pay you separately for the "cat" if you remove it. Don't know how much? could be £30 ish or more for that.

You'd probably need to de-pollute the car as well. Taking the wheels away with you & making sure that the oil and fuel are drained, and battery removed.
Its a bit of a clart on, so might be easier to just have it uplifted as originally said :).

If I get £100 I should be lucky?

The cat is gone, water damage when the cylinder head went, I was going to fix it, even had the head re skimmed, but I ran out of time and the wife bought another car.

It's just had 2 new tyres and the rad is about a year old, but it also needs a battery ( I stole it for my car) I need the space and it not drivable so the uplift looks like the option.

A chap I know has just weighed his car in and got £240 lol it was only a banger but he soaked the back seats with water and chucked some old iron poles out the garden in th boot lol. I think the average price per tonne is £90 - £120

Back