Old boiler

sneaker

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an old Glowworm 45/60 boiler, and for about the last 10 years or so it has been bubbling, popping, banging and clanging
when heating the water, We've flushed the system and bled all rads
but it's still the same. Anybody any ideas?

thanks.

Are you sure its the boiler and not the pipework,over time pipe clips etc can become loose allowing too much expansion room therefore causing banging etc

The noise is coming from the boiler, don't know if it's were the pipes connect.

I know there are loose clips up the wall several feet from the boiler, but would that cause loud bangs that can be heard upstairs?

Last edited:
Did you bleed the boiler and the pump,although its not always possible depending on the installation

Bummer, thought it was a moan about the Mrs ;)

Ten years ffs? The water gets hot and all is well? No problem then - earplugs will fix it ;)

Seriously, isolate the banging, make sure it's not the boiler, maybe just pipes warming up? As Wiz says, could be loose clips making pipes clatter as they warm up...

Last edited:
Suppose those of us that have old boilers that still bang should count ourselves lucky :)

Did you bleed the boiler and the pump,although its not always possible depending on the installation.

No I haven't, as this is what I was hoping You guys might know how to do :)

bleeding the pump is easy mate . usually there is a bleed screw on front of the pump

I take it the pump is the round cylinder looking thing?

I'll post a pick up soon, if trying the this screw dosn't flood my kitchen, or blow me to kingdom come. :D

just hold a cloth round the screw driver and turn slowly it wont gush out to quick and you wont need to remove the screw

Cheers, turner brown and HH, I've just just checked My camera and the battery is flat, if this doesn't work I'll post a pic tomorrow thanks for the help, have some rep.

For some reason I can't give You rep turner brown? it says. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to turner brown again? but thanks anyway much appreciated.

how old is the pump m8,over time the pump slows down and does not get the heat out the boiler quick enough you might be better replacing it.

how old is the pump m8,over time the pump slows down and does not get the heat out the boiler quick enough you might be better replacing it.

It will be old not been replaced as I can remember, here's a pic

boiler.JPG

point A. I assume is for draing the boiler?

point B. has a bleed type connector

point C. also has a bleed type connector.

Back