Nvidia shield Tv box

omar2k15

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Nvidia Sheild box. How does it compare to other Android/XBMC boxes on the market.
Is it worth the hefty price tag,

There are 2 versions the normal and then the pro version have a look here mate ,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Pro Version with the 500 g HD

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
standard version

runs like a dream plus u get a game pad blows the mx, m8 boxes away

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one...

Got it for £119 on Black Friday, with the slim remote thrown in too.

It's a very powerful machine. I have kodi on mine running with the vu+ plugin. I've still got to play with the emulators, but haven't got round to it.

But it's the most powerful Android box around, easily capable of playing 4k. Just waiting for Kodi to sort out passthrough which will probably come soon as we're getting Android 6 updates imminently.

Passthrough for Dolby TrueHD and DTS -HD MA got sorted with some test builds it wont get fully implemented until Kodi V17.0.

I have one and even retired my Intel NUC i5 from Kodi duty as this baby is HDMI 2,0 and 4K ready.

Those cheap chinese tat shite boxes MQ,M8 and what ever pale into insignificance compared to the shield

Haven't tried any other boxes, but this Shield is extremely fast & really smooth with Kodi.

All the reviews I looked at said it had the best hardware 2nd to none of any android box on the market. But they said the usability was flawed because it didn't have a full Google play store and will not run all android apps. Maybe they will sort this out with a firmware update. My $60 T8 has Dolby dts and is 4K ready. But If you just want to run Kodi a £35 firestick does the job great. Just my opinion and opinions are subjective. Or as I like to say it's a matter of opinion and your opinion doesn't matter, only joking.
Out of curiosity does it come with Ota firmware update or do you have to do it manually yourself .

Last edited:
The Shield autoupdates itself, next major update should be the Marsh Mellow 6.0 update with more features.

You can Root the shield to run Full Android 5.1 with full access to the Play Store and every app available can be installed, apparently though you lose the function of the supplied Game controller but this is easily overcome by using an old Xbox 360 controller

the Hack is here: [ROM][Full Android for Shield TV][v.2.2] - Post #1244

You can of course also sideload many of the Apps via ESexplorer on the default Shield Build so not a problem.

I would just add this many of the Chinese android market boxes claim many different specifications for 4K there is a standard and all i know is that the Shield TV already has that standard from day one.

For those who dont know the official standard is for Home playback 4K UHD HEVC 10bit through HDMI 2.0 with HDR (high dynamic range) delivered at 60hz

Any device that does not meet that criteria is not full 4K UHD standard, the new Wetek Core is another one it has only just come out and its failed for me anyway as the spec for 4K on the core is HEVC 8bit at 30hz the 30hz part is important as that was the old standard also UHD Blu Ray will be HEVC 10bit @60hz.

anyone thinking of investing in a box the Shield for the price is the only Android box right now that is future proofed

Oh by the way the T8 only does 4K @30hz so its a non starter for me

That's good and well worth knowing. Personally for me 4K is not something I'll be using in the near future. I doubt that there will be many add-ons on Kodi and side loaded apps streaming 4k. I think it will be awhile before live TV is streamed in 4K as well as I can imagine it would be very expensive. Sly and virmin Will eventually start broadcasting in 4K but you will have to pay through the nose for it I would expect .

Last edited:
And that is the difference i use Kodi in its official form with no 'Addons' to blight my enjoyment all my media is stored on NAS drives Movies/TV as well as 4K content.

You will never see any 'Addons' supply 4K content they dont have the bandwidth to supply and i suppose most users wont have the Fibre connection to actually receive it even if they did, but as above if using Kodi in its true from then UHD will be no problem for most users who will need it including myself.

AH! Yes the Sly/Vermin 4K roll out, another blinkered view on the UK landscape. 4K UHD broadcasts have been used since the last world cup and highly used on the Champions league games as well as the final, expect all the Euros this year to be in UHD if your lucky enough to have a Motorised system a bit of leg work and a compatible receiver such as the Solo4K and Euro 4K feeds will be a plenty cough! cough!

Personally i have no idea why these Chinese manufacturers keep churning these things out with newer tech like supposedly 4K compatible as the majority of users will just need them for the 'Addons'.

Now I see your reasons for buying the shield and paying a bit more for the premium the hardware. If I needed the premium hardware I would probably pay for it.

Last edited:
You can of course also sideload many of the Apps via ESexplorer on the default Shield Build so not a problem
where would you download apps from for sideloading. also i got esexplorer on shield but i couldn't get ftp to work

where would you download apps from for sideloading. also i got esexplorer on shield but i couldn't get ftp to work

you can either get some from other Forums that have .apk's or get them from other devices with apps such as adbfire or android assistant from the play store

Pi2 has just died on me so taken a chance on one of these. Bit overkill just for Kodi I know but at least i've got other options if I want them.

To be honest was starting to get a bit pissed off anyway with lack of x265 on Pi. Usually a couple of things I end up having to download again each week.

How good are these for steaming in reality though? I have a GTX970 and would like to use it like a console!

Just picked up the PRO 500gb version.
Kodi and Plex run effortlessly. Also very good for Games play either by cloud or by install from Google Play.

I think the Shield isn't worth the price yet.
For 50€ you can buy a nice Android TV Stick with a Quad Core CPU and 3 GB RAM

Dont take this the wrong way but you dont have a clue what your talking about a €50 euro android stick taking on the shield april fool was 23 days ago or is it you need that quick 5 posts for a download.

My bet would be the 5 post trick

Have a Nyvidia Shield box and i must say its the best thing i have ever got. Had a G Box Q before this and it blows it out of the water. Dont do much gaming on it but would highly recommend.

I know its an old post but I just got an Nvidia Sheild Pro and Love it can do much more than run kodi and apps the games are amazing just installed the snes and game cube emulators the old ones are the best have relived some of my youth playing Mario and Zelda great little box would recommend to any one thinking of upgrading a bit pricy but a really impressive box.

cheers johny48

Ive got one not done much with it will have a look at putting some emulators on it soon

Back