Nurse struck off for showing the truth

Firemouth

Inactive User
Reaction score
A nurse who secretly filmed for the BBC to reveal the neglect of elderly patients at a hospital has been struck off for misconduct.

Margaret Haywood, 58, filmed at the Royal Sussex Hospital in Brighton for a BBC Panorama programme in July 2005.

She was struck off by the Nursing and Midwifery Council on Thursday after being a nurse for more than 20 years.

The panel said she "followed the behest of the filmmakers... rather than her obligations as a nurse".

Ms Haywood, of Liverpool, said: "I was convinced that it was the right thing to do at the time as, in fact, I had reported the issues and nothing had been done.

"I felt I owed it to the people on the ward."

She was found guilty of misconduct on Wednesday following a fitness to practise hearing.

Panorama believes that Margaret Haywood has done the elderly population of this country a great service
BBC spokesman

The chair of the panel, Linda Read, said Ms Haywood had prioritised the filming and did not fulfil her obligations as a nurse.

"In the view of the panel, this was a major breach of the code of conduct.

"A patient should be able to trust a nurse with his/her physical condition and psychological wellbeing without that confidential information being disclosed to others.

"Although the conditions on the ward were dreadful, it was not necessary to breach confidentiality to seek to improve them by the method chosen.

She said the misconduct was "fundamentally incompatible with being a nurse".

"The registrant embarked upon filming many vulnerable, elderly patients in the last stages of their lives, knowing that it was unlikely that they would be able to give any meaningful consent to that process, in circumstances where their dignity was most compromised.

"The registrant could have attempted to address shortcomings by other means. But this was never a course of action which she fully considered."

BBC NEWS | England | Sussex | Secret filming nurse struck off

i think this passage is worth a read.
In November the panel found no evidence that Ms Haywood broke the NHS Trust's policy on whistle-blowing by raising concerns about patient care in the documentary, or that she failed to assist colleagues when a patient was having a seizure.
and
This makes total nonsense of all the talk about openness and transparency in the NHS. Cover-up is the order of the game
attributed to Joyce Robins, Patient Concern.

There's a big difference between collecting information for "whistle blowing" and covert filming for a tv documentary !

She may of started with good motives but, as the article hints at, she apparently followed the instructions of producers in order to make something controversial for TV rather than attempting to do what was best for her patients.

In this case, I reckon the judgement was warranted.

There's a big difference between collecting information for "whistle blowing" and covert filming for a tv documentary !

She may of started with good motives but, as the article hints at, she apparently followed the instructions of producers in order to make something controversial for TV rather than attempting to do what was best for her patients.

In this case, I reckon the judgement was warranted.
i refer you to this quote
or that she failed to assist colleagues when a patient was having a seizure.

well she said nothing was done when she reported the issues so she went to the media to highlight this fact. Bit harsh I reckon, but the bosses are trying to send out a message that no one speaks or else.
On the plus side, she has 2 years left before retirement so she could just take early retirement, write a book about the atrocities going on and make millions

Back