Not acquiring IP adrress on 1 machine.

P4TCA

'Stupid Scottish White Guy'
Reaction score
I can get wireless internet access on my laptop via my access point no problem. I have got a pc for my boys room and I am trying to connect wirelessly with a tp link wirelss dongle, however, I am getting the acquiuring IP adress on the pc but getting no probs with the laptop?

Hi Dutcho thanks for the reply. I had WEP running but I took off as couldn't remeber the key. The new machiine finds the wreless signal with high strength no problem but will not acquire the IP Adress?

Its the wee mans birthday today and I got myself some time whilst he plays way the other bits and bobs he got. Knowing him he will be bored within the hour lol.

What version of windows do you have on the desktop...??

Also do you have a USB flash drive...I ask this as one of your computers can connect to the net then it can connect to the router that you have...so you can copy and paste the key into a txt file onto the flash drive...that way you know it is definately correct...the not aquiring an IP addy usually means it is not paired with the wireless device...that usually means the key is wrong or windows is using a cache of the settings and they are wrong...

Hope this helps...

What version of windows do you have on the desktop...??

Also do you have a USB flash drive...I ask this as one of your computers can connect to the net then it can connect to the router that you have...so you can copy and paste the key into a txt file onto the flash drive...that way you know it is definately correct...the not aquiring an IP addy usually means it is not paired with the wireless device...that usually means the key is wrong or windows is using a cache of the settings and they are wrong...

Hope this helps...

Cheers Tony, Currently running without a key until i get this sorted. I have switched wireless of on my lappy then moved the dongle onto my lappy and getting the same problem ie seeing the network but not connecting to internet. So it looks like something with the dongle. Anyone reccomend what setting it could be?

Are you using the software that comes with the usb stick...or are you using windows own...??

Using the software with the stick on th pc and windows own on the laptop.

Does the router see the wireless device trying to connect ? Another possible answer could be your firewall on that machine is not allowing the router to connect, you could try switching it off to be sure.

Not wure about the router seeing the wireless device how would I check that. Going in through internet explorer? Switched of vm firewall and xp firewalls

Last edited:
have you put any Mac Address filtering on in the router?

Is the PC def trying to connect to your access point?

have you put any Mac Address filtering on in the router?

Is the PC def trying to connect to your access point?

Dont know what Mac Adress filtering is so I doubt that would be on the router.

The pc did find it and connected wirelssly it just coludnt get an IP.

can you set the pc up in the same place as the router then try and connect. I know you say it says you have a strong signal but that all changes when it trys to connect.

also do you use the supplied software to connect or windows zero config thingy ?

can you set the pc up in the same place as the router then try and connect. I know you say it says you have a strong signal but that all changes when it trys to connect.

also do you use the supplied software to connect or windows zero config thingy ?

I have tried putting the usb on laptop and tryinbg connect next to acess point with the same results using the tp link software on the pc and windows when I tried on laptop.

As this unit is a wireless acces point how is it connected to your modem/router?

If it is unable to obtain an IP address it could be a DHCP issue, does your laptop obtain an IP or is it a fixed IP address?

so it wont connect with lappy either ? I would use windows and stop the suppliment program from running on startup then see what happens.

Uninstalled software, Still the same using windies.

As this unit is a wireless acces point how is it connected to your modem/router?

If it is unable to obtain an IP address it could be a DHCP issue, does your laptop obtain an IP or is it a fixed IP address?

Netowrk connections Obtain and IP Address automatically is ticked for IP V4 and IPV6

The deafualt IP for the access point is 192.168.0.50 but I cant get into the acessn point using it to check they settings

Last edited:
I have clicked in Network Connection details.

It has a

Physical address ........
IP Address .............
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

It has no info for

Default gateway
DNS Server
WINS Server

Back