No display on boot up???

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
ello chaps :) .. i'm fixing a pc for my mother.. as you do .. when you power up, everything comes on but there is no display ('no signal' flying round the screen) ...

at first i thought it was the graphics card so we bought another and its still the same. then i thought it was the processor so we bought another ... again still the same. what the fook could it be??

also if i have a dvd drive connected it scans for whats in the drive every five seconds repeatedly, strange i think ..

try removing all componants i.e graphics, memory, processor and fitting them back in, does the system bleep at all, if so how many bleeps and in what sequence?

Had same problem recently, I too went for the graphics card. Turned out to be faulty power supply, £7 replacement and all was OK. Unusual as they normally blow completely. (might be worth trying before you replace cpu/board etc)

it's probably not the mobo m8

it's usually your ram, gpu, cpu, hdd, psu, dvd drive or your bios have ran away.

i hate them to, lol

mate I agree with this chap.......in my experience its ram, psu, hdd in most things.

have you taken the cmos battery out any reboot your system with default bios?

are you getting any "beep" from the mobo when powering up mate as i had same with mine and as i was told by someone from a pc shop when mobo powers up it will do a quick self test and then beep, if more than one beep could be a problem with a part fitted but if no beep then mobo not working

I had this problem recently turned out to be RAM.

Try taking the RAM out and trying it in different slots if you have more than one stick try a single stick.

Can you get into bios ? Hit delete repeatadly at start up. If so check your hard drives there ive had probs with twisted ide cables and power failures from psu. Does the monitor respond then power off?

HI mate I know this is a lot of work but the best way to test the machine is to pull out all ide, floppy and front usb connections take motherboard out of the case so that it's not shorting againist anything in the case then power up with just the power supply ram and graphics card if required (also it worth clearing the bios using the juper settings on the board) if this brings up the screen then plug in devices one at a time.

on this aged motherboard its usually the capacitors???

are they raised at all????

looks like everyone has sudgested everything else...

so many things i suggest make sure the jumpers are set right on your mobo then just connect the basic power supply see if its alive if not you have a dead mobo are cpu thats of a novice dont shoot me if im taling rubarb lol

ENGLISH mate we seemed to have lost you...........I see lots of suggestions but you havent replied, have you tried any or is your problem solved mate????

ENGLISH mate we seemed to have lost you...........I see lots of suggestions but you havent replied, have you tried any or is your problem solved mate????

i did say in my third post that i think its the mobo lol

there is no beep, as someone said above that means bad mobo

thanks again for the replies thats the most ive had ever

:THANKS:

I dont know if you sorted your problem but if you havnt this looks like the same problem i had i put a motherboard into a case i had and monitor wouldnt show anything just blank black screen but pc started fine so this is what i did.

On the PSU i had 1 x 20 pin Main Power but i did not have 1 x 4 pin Main Power but i had the slot on the motherboard for it so i brought a new PSU with both connected it and everything working fine

Back