Nikon D60

andypb

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anybody help me with my nikon problem.
I have a nikon d60 which will not turn on anymore,i have tried a new battery and also the hard reset,but still no luck.
I have phoned nikon,but i can't afford what they are quoting.
Any help would be much appriciated.
cheers.

Will it power on via the DC input? If it does then it's likely the battery not holding a charge or the battery contacts. A new EN-EL9 battery or compatible can be had from the likes of Amazon Marketplace, 7dayshop.com etc. If it's the contacts you are going to need a service manual. http://www.torrentreactor.net/search.php?search=2&words=nikon-d60-service-manual-pdf&lang=

If it doesn't power on via the DC input then see if Jessops are still giving free quotes for repairs. Failing that you make get a better repair quote from your local independent Nikon dealer than from Nikon directly.

For what it's worth, it looks like you can pick up a second hand D60 for £200+, a new D3100 for £355 or a direct replacement D90 for £499. (Not suggesting that these are cheap, just posting them to help you weigh up whether to go for a new camera over the repair option.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick reply little_pob.
I have tried a new battery,but still won't turn on.
How do i power on with dc input?,(if you could let me know,i will try)
I took it into jessops,they just said to send it to nikon,but i can't afford the £200+ quote from nikon.

thanks again.

£200+! Have they indicated what is wrong with it? I know it's standard practice to replace all the seals and worn gears at the same time, but you could end up with a bill for more than a newer model.

Looking into it further the D60 uses 2 optional extras to connect to the mains. An adapter that sits in the battery compartment (EP-5) connected to a AC/DC power converter (EH-5a). It does not seem possible to connect the camera to the mains via the more traditional DC jack found on camcorders and other manufacturer's cameras.

A compatible, aftermarket EP-5 and EH-5a kit is available on Amazon for ~£35. However, if both your batteries fail to power on the camera I have a feeling you'll have the same problem with the kit. Still, it might be worth putting a multimeter across the battery charger, just to make sure it's not that which has failed.

I don't know how much the D60 originally cost you, or if you are the original owner, but I wouldn't be happy if a DSLR of mine stopped working within 3 years of purchase. As such you could see if you get anywhere with the suggestions in this thread, especially if it's a common problem: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/211990/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi little_pob,they did not indicate any specific problem,they said they couldn't do that over the phone.
He just said send it in and that they would take a look,and that it may be £200+,but they wouldn't do any repairs without my permission.
As you suggested,i have put a multi-meter across both batterys and the charger,and they seem both fine.
Iv'e had the camera just over a year,i brought it second hand and it has been working great until about a week ago,it hasn't been dropped or got wet.
Also i don't have the receipt.
Thanks for your reply,and i will check out the thread you posted,if you have anymore ideas,i'm all ears.
Thanks again.

As a second hand user you are not covered by the full scope of the Sale of Goods Act. If the original owner didn't register the camera you may get away with it, if they did then Nikon will just look at their records and say "no" :(

Unfortunately from your description of the fault I'm now thinking they're going to have to at least partly strip the camera to find the fault. As they'd have to then replace the seals anyway, so a free quote may not be possible... However, you could try a quick google to see if there are any local independent repair places that will give you a free quote.

I have tried a few sites,but they couldn't give a quote over the phone,they said i will have to send it to them first :(
I was thinking of taking it apart myself,but i would need a repair manual,also after what you said about changing seals, i'm not so sure now.
cheers.

Thanks so much little_pob,thats great :)
I will download it right now,and if i'm feeling brave enough i may have a go myself.
Thanks again, your a star.

Hi little_pob,i tried the download,but every link i click on say's i need to register and charge my visa card $1.99,then after 3 days another charge of $69.00 if i want to stay registerd :( ,it might be me being paranoid,but i don't trust things like that.
Thanks anyway for the link,i will search google to see if i can download it else where.

Back