Newsdemon download speed capped

Captin

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I joined newsdemon about 3 months ago and had very good speed, arounf 48mbps but Thuesday night the speed went to 70kbps and has been there since then.

I have a dedicated PC for downlaoding and it's scheduled to only download from midnight until 9am which is the times that Virgin say are un-throttled.

I do download a lot, over 1.7tb in May, but 98% overnight.

I've tried an astraweb account and it's still downloading at full speed.

I've tried all servers and ports from newsdemon and get the same 70kbps speed. I've also tried other pc's.

So my question is. Can virgin block or throttle indevidual news servers on my account.

I know certain web site's and IP addresses can be blocked, ether by your router or even using DNS blocking like opendns (i've used it to block sites myself way).

Just tried news.virginmedia.com, as the what I'm downloading is only a week old, and I'm getting full speed from them. So it's only newsdemon I'm getting crap speeds from.

had a quick google and it seems to happen quite often which that hoster, although cannot find a forum, may be me being blind, on the home page, unless it's members only.

I'm using Newsdemon and Virgin 50meg and never received any problems. Download usually between 5pm - 10pm and last night was OK for me.

I'm using Newsdemon and Virgin 50meg and never received any problems. Download usually between 5pm - 10pm and last night was OK for me.

I dont think the problem is newsdemon they have been quite good since I joined and other peeps don't seem to be having a problem with them.

I think my problem is with virgin I think they have decided to stop me from downloading from newsdemon.

But I don't know if they can do that.

I know they can block certain ports, but it's not that as astraweb uses some of the ports newsdemon uses.

Have you tried using the SSL ports and servers on newsdemon?

Have you tried using the SSL ports and servers on newsdemon?

I've tried all their ports, all their servers, and tried them on 3 different pc's using 2 different programs, and still get 70kbps.

But it's only with newsdemon.

Try using a VPN to see if that makes any difference. Then you will know if virgin are blocking the server. Astrill do a 7 day VPN trial so you can try it without having to pay.

Try using a VPN to see if that makes any difference. Then you will know if virgin are blocking the server. Astrill do a 7 day VPN trial so you can try it without having to pay.

Good idea but when I try to sign up I get the following message.

It appears you are trying to signup through a proxy, VPN or public computer.

If your Astrill is enabled, plase close it. If you are not using Astrill, please disable any other proxy/VPN you are using and reload this page to continue.

If you believe this message is with error and you are not using a proxy or VPN, please contact our support and send to us this trouble code "2E9EDF04".

I'm not using any proxies or VPN that I know of.

You dont have any proxy set in your browser LAN settings? If you are logging in from a company they may be using one.

If you want to PM me your email address and I can send you a direct link to sign up.

You dont have any proxy set in your browser LAN settings? If you are logging in from a company they may be using one.

If you want to PM me your email address and I can send you a direct link to sign up.

I'm not using any proxy. My pc is connected to my router which is connected to virgins cable modem, all wired.

I did a traceroute and it doesnt seem like anything is wrong.

Everything is reporting my IP as the one virgin has assigned to me.

Just download 4GB this morning from newsdemon using sabnzbd. Average 5.1MB throughput.

Is it only newsdemon ? Have you tried virgins news servers, I don't normally get 50mb off them but should manage 10 to 15mb at least.

Try their live support and mention you would like a 7 day trial and they should be able to sort out the issue. Good luck

Just download 4GB this morning from newsdemon using sabnzbd. Average 5.1MB throughput.

Is it only newsdemon ? Have you tried virgins news servers, I don't normally get 50mb off them but should manage 10 to 15mb at least.

Yes it's only newsdemon. I've tried virgin and my m8's astraweb and both are giving me full speed.

Try their live support and mention you would like a 7 day trial and they should be able to sort out the issue. Good luck

I'll give it a go.

Tried a different VPN service. did an IP check and traceroute to make sure it was working.

Using the same settings in newsleecher and using newsdemon the speed is still slow around 70kbps.

Using astraweb the speed is around 20mbps (understandable when going through VPN).

Disconnected the VPN and newsdemon is still at 70kbps and astraweb is back to 48mbps.

I could say it's newsdemons problem but no-one else seems to be having the slowdown. Plus they normally fix things quickly, this has been going on since Tuesday.

I may have to go back to astraweb for a while. Pity I wont get the same $7 deal from them as I did from newsdemon.

I would log a support issue with newsdemon as there may be a problem with your account.

Not sure what is wrong with your connection, currently downloading from europe.newsdemon.com on port 119, no SSL, one post less then a day old and one 45 days old. Getting 6MB a second.

Do u know someone with another account u can try? Maybe they've capped u for downloading too much?
I wonder if there's some sort of clause in the contract....

Get different account details on your connection, see if it's any better

the virgin police are on to you m8 run for the hills....

I too just grabbed a 2 gig file and its the same speed as always :)

the virgin police are on to you m8 run for the hills....

I too just grabbed a 2 gig file and its the same speed as always :)

Back