Newbie Guide for Server 2008 and Virtualisation?

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys I am fairly new to servers and virtualisation, so I was hoping to learn about them - install, configure, administrate and virtualise.

What would be the best step by step guides to learn?

I was thinking maybe train signal?
Any one used their guides and if so, how were they?

You might be best in the first instance installing something like Virtualbox and having a look.

You would also be easier looking into Windows Server 2012 if you are new to it, primarily as Hyper-V is part of the OS and it's the latest, but it depends on what platform you really want to learn.

Most learning is from reading material (of which there are lots) or through classroom training. It's not as straightforward as looking through a few guides and they don't give you the in depth knowledge that comes from real world practice. It's an accompaniment really.

Not used Train Signal as a resource if I'm honest, although they look pretty decent. My only concern is that for not much more you can get classroom training.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

I was thinking of the classroom training method but not sure of any reputable ones in UK for a good price?

With regards to train signal, they seem really good to implement real live scenarios and gives you the opportunity to play to go through the tutorials at your own pace as long as you have a system good enough to run a server or virtually run a server...

really depends on your learning style. Train signal and CBT Nuggests are probably the two most known self taught guides. Don't discount microsoft's own online guides, especially technet. And there is a ton of stuff on youtube as well.

Really depends on how much you and what you want to learn.

If you have access to usenet then I have the Windows Server 2012 and powershell 3 CBT Nuggets on my indexing site

Exam 70-659 is the 2008 R2 virtualisation exam. Now I know you don't want to the exam but it gives you a good search criteria for all the material you need.
The Train Signal videos to accompany that exam prep are exactly what you need.

I am them stored somewhere but it might be easier if you can grab them online your self.

The best way to tackle it is to find a desktop PC that you can install server 2008 R2 on and then enable the hyper-v feature. Doing by learning, esp when following the train signal videos will increase your knowledge quickly.

Class room courses do work but are expensive, but they highlight the areas you need to focus on and it is again up to you in your own time to learn.

As a starter - I have PM'd you the PDF doc that goes with that course (LOL I have been on it and passed the exam ;-) )

Back