New TV questions. Advice please?

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
My Dad's old Panasonic Quintrix (?) is needing to be replaced, as it's making an awful humming noise, and because he's getting deaf, is made even worse because he has the volume is up so high for him to hear anything. So, he has finally agreed he needs a new TV. (Eventually!)

Anyway, I've been looking around and quite liking the LG range, and having seen one in action, am quite impressed.

However, is it worth him spending the extra wedge on FULL HD 1080p TV now, or would HD READY be fine for him? I'm thinking more of in the future TBH, as his TV gear currently is SD only, but I don't want to bum steer him for a year down the line etc, if/when he moves to Sky/VM/other HD boxes.

I've also seen a couple of Plasma's that weren't a massive jump in price (£50-£100 more), is it worth looking at these too, or, are the bottom of the range Plasma's not worth bothering with, and instead put that extra wedge into a bigger/better LCD telly?

Finally, what would be your TV recommendations, are the LG's any good?

I've always liked Panasonic myself, but have been impressed with my MiL's LG 32LF2500 TV.

All advice welcome guys, and thanks for reading!

Oh yeah, budget is around £400, and upto £500 at a push, if it's a cracking and TV will future proof him as much as possible.

Last edited:
I got to ask, what is the difference between 1080p and 'HD Ready', is HD ready 720p ?

One thing that I have noticed is that its difficult to tell the difference between 720p, 1080i and 1080p on a set smaller then 32".

I have to say that I wasn't very big fan of plasma until I picked up a 50" LG 50PS6000, after watching avatar on blu-ray the picture is amazing. Also and compared to my mate panasonic TXP42G20 and TXP50G20 again there is not much in the picture quality. Though the panasonic has builtin freeview HD, freesat HD, DNLA and PVR.

What size screen are you looking for ?

If he getting a sky or virgin HD box then is HD freeview or freesat important to him, how about other advanced features like PVR. If not then a decent 32" plasma should to well within your reach.

It's time your dad got made. Buy him this TV and he will love you forever.

I got to ask, what is the difference between 1080p and 'HD Ready', is HD ready 720p ?.

No idea mate, that's why I was asking! Lol

Thanks for the other info though, will keep all that in mind.

He wants a minimum of 32" BTW.

It's time your dad got made. Buy him this TV and he will love you forever.

Thanks Munkey. That was one of the Plasma's I was thinking of in the OP.

Does look a belter, and as I said I like Panasonic, still happy with my old CRT widescreen 26".

The only thing that worried me with it, is it's the top end of his budget and I don't know enough to go spunking his cash away on it! Lol

You got one yourself mate?

Nah Dazza I got a 6 year old Panny and 3 year old Fuji, both plasma's.

I think you're making a fair point about the money being spent, would your old man really notice the difference between a 37" and 42"? This is another great telly and you've save a good few pounds.

I think I've seen it for as low as £379 but can't find the deal anymore.

I've noticed that there are some decent 32" blowouts from the bigger suppliers, Richer Sounds had a Tosh 32" for around £250 just last week. I wouldn't pay more than £280 for a 32", £400 for a £37" and £500 for a 42".

If the old fella is going to watch a lot of sport try and stick with the panny but if he's a purely a news watcher then a cheaper brand would suffice.

I just brought a Lg 32" 1080p from Asda for £329 the 720 was £307 so for £22extra its a good deal.

Nah Dazza I got a 6 year old Panny and 3 year old Fuji, both plasma's.

I think you're making a fair point about the money being spent, would your old man really notice the difference between a 37" and 42"? This is another great telly and you've save a good few pounds.

Thanks again mate. That link isn't directing properly, however I've got the idea from the URL of the model number.

So, you're saying definitely Plasma over LCD?

Thanks again mate. That link isn't directing properly, however I've got the idea from the URL of the model number.

So, you're saying definitely Plasma over LCD?

Having both a plasma (downstairs) and a LCD (bedroom) there is not much in it and I don't think your dad is going to notice.

I think I would check with the LCD is the viewing angle can be a bit narrow especially up/down. And I have found the cheap LCD to be a bit dark at times.

Back