new TV for old folks

ashbash

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well my mum and dad need to get a new TV there old rear projection TV is packing in; there is a shadow that runs up and down the screen all the time and it was not so long ago that they paid £150 to have it repaired only for this to start and I don’t want them throwing more money at this old set so it’s time to get them a new TV.
They want to have it put up on their wall but the layout makes the viewing angle for my mum a bit sharp she always sits in her seat which would be about 10 feet back from the wall but about five feet to the right of the TV and my old man would be in his usual seat on the end of the couch again about 10 feet back but about 6 to 8 feet to the left of there TV (they have a really long and thin room)making me think plasma over lcd but I’m not sure.
I’m not sure what TV they should go for? I would like to try finding a short list of a few TVs and taking them round to have a look. If I know them it will be more about how easy the remote control is to work rather than how good the TV looks.
What I’m looking at is something along 42"-46" size and a max of a £900 keeping in mind that I will need to get them a wall mount bracket. They don’t watch any hd stuff as yet and I can’t see them getting a blue ray player just about everything they watch is terrestrial but free view hd might be a good thing? Anyway got any ideas what I can use as a short list for them to look at?

what about the 42" lg plasma that asda are meant to be getting in cheap?

Strange one that, I get them advertising a lg one reduced to £397 on there home page but when I search for the TV it comes up with £497????wtf

Wall mount should not cost much, around £25 for a basic one for TV over 42". Another £10 for decent fixing depending on the wall.

I've got the LG 50PS6000 full HD and a great picture which can be found for under £700 online. I can confirm viewing angle would not be a problem, I can view mine virtually side on no problem.

That would leave £150 for basic Freesat HD or PVR HD freesat.

Wall mount should not cost much, around £25 for a basic one for TV over 42". Another £10 for decent fixing depending on the wall.
I've got the LG 50PS6000 full HD and a great picture which can be found for under £700 online. I can confirm viewing angle would not be a problem, I can view mine virtually side on no problem.

That would leave £150 for basic Freesat HD or PVR HD freesat.

should come with wall mount

I have both my 42" Plasama and 37" LCD wall mounted, cost me 15 quid the wall mount from EBay and you get the fixings (bolts, washers and screws to fix wall mount to TV)

as long as you have a solid brick wall then you shouldnt have any problems with wall mounting.

I was reading on AV forums a while back that if you have plasterboard over breeze block then you could have a gap between them that could cause a problem.

Well my mum and dad need to get a new TV there old rear projection TV is packing in; there is a shadow that runs up and down the screen all the time and it was not so long ago that they paid £150 to have it repaired only for this to start and I don’t want them throwing more money at this old set so it’s time to get them a new TV.
They want to have it put up on their wall but the layout makes the viewing angle for my mum a bit sharp she always sits in her seat which would be about 10 feet back from the wall but about five feet to the right of the TV and my old man would be in his usual seat on the end of the couch again about 10 feet back but about 6 to 8 feet to the left of there TV (they have a really long and thin room)making me think plasma over lcd but I’m not sure.
I’m not sure what TV they should go for? I would like to try finding a short list of a few TVs and taking them round to have a look. If I know them it will be more about how easy the remote control is to work rather than how good the TV looks.
What I’m looking at is something along 42"-46" size and a max of a £900 keeping in mind that I will need to get them a wall mount bracket. They don’t watch any hd stuff as yet and I can’t see them getting a blue ray player just about everything they watch is terrestrial but free view hd might be a good thing? Anyway got any ideas what I can use as a short list for them to look at?

I would reccomend panasonic's this one has freeview HD built in Panasonic VIERA TXP42S20 | 42 inch Plasma TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD - Price with trade-in | Richer Sounds £660 with a 5 year guarantee that price is with trade in for their old tv, and you can get the base model panasonic blu ray player for £60 when you buy that tv, there will be loads of cheaper alternatives but not bad for £720 all in.

Dont spend mega money on it mate,

If there anything like my gran, mum and dad they will be happy with a 250 quid set from argos as they will nerver use any of the HD stuff!

Dont spend mega money on it mate,

If there anything like my gran, mum and dad they will be happy with a 250 quid set from argos as they will nerver use any of the HD stuff!

thats just the thing the watch eastenders corry and the like if my old man want's to watch to footy he has to go to the bedroom lol still all the same i would like to get them something nice.

What im getting at is the no matter what you get them they will be pissed of its no excally the same and its diffrent to what there used to haha!

get them a really cheap and nasty one with no freeview then when the switch over hits there area and there on the phone saying wheres the signal gone hit them with a dogs full Hd setup and watch there faces light up... or just go for a good panasonic with freeview hd/freesat hd at the 800 quid mark

Back