New security in place for cloned modems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yottabit

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I heard of a VM Tech lad that there is going to be new security so that cloned modems will no longer work and he also says within the next year none of them will work, is this true?

Quite possibly - or maybe not at all - its all rumour until something happens!!

lol these kinds of rumours happen all the time mate, especially with cable tv, now thats been hacked for over a decade and they havent done much to stop that.

lol these kinds of rumours happen all the time mate, especially with cable tv, now thats been hacked for over a decade and they havent done much to stop that.

Thought i should step in here, as i work for VM.

Yes there is new security in place to stop cloned modems, its currently being trialled in 2 parts of nottingham and it works extremely well, stopped quite a few cloners dead in their tracks today.

Yes there is new security in place to stop cloned modems, its currently being trialled in 2 parts of nottingham and it works extremely well, stopped quite a few cloners dead in their tracks today.

what about the cable tv then? no luck on that?

i think theyres alot more people watching channels than cloning modems

ill probably switch back to bt if modem cloning gets stopped as i dont think virgin or any other company taking them over is going to seriously consider docsis3 so cable wont be able to compete with vdsl at the street cabs and sky

Last edited:
well anyone in nottingham confirm that there modem stopped working

1st rule of cable hacking, DON'T LISTEN TO TECHS, they are drones that nail cables to your walls - nothing else.

Regarding Nottingham, where's the proof of this mate?

This nonsense raises it's head every few months and it's always bullshit.

and then 1 day everything really will stop working while people have been saying its bshit, could always start cloning macs of legit modems forcing the yoyo affect and it woudl cause huge problems for virgin maybe forcing them to have a rethink i dunno?

DON'T LISTEN TO TECHS, they are drones that nail cables to your walls - nothing else.

PMSL....shit that tickled me

All romours , like everything peeps just remember nothing last forever , so enjoy the ride while it lasts , lol

The way I see it is that it will cost VM thousands of £'s to implement a system like this across a nationwide network. They would be looking at how much they are losing by people using clones compared to how much it would cost to stop the clones working. In my opinion clones aren't that much of an issue to VM at the moment, after all they are still losing huge numbers of customers to S*y...

I remember when Plusnet 1st said they were going to start throttling customers. It was nearly 2 years before the had any ellacoyas' on their network....

and then 1 day everything really will stop working while people have been saying its bshit, could always start cloning macs of legit modems forcing the yoyo affect and it woudl cause huge problems for virgin maybe forcing them to have a rethink i dunno?

that is what will happenanyway how they going to tellthedogey ones from the legit ones

In Nottingham with at least 4 modems still fine so doubt this very much

well put my pc on this morning and my cloned modem an,t working but my modem i had from vm and area is wolverhampton

1st rule of cable hacking, DON'T LISTEN TO TECHS, they are drones that nail cables to your walls - nothing else.

Regarding Nottingham, where's the proof of this mate?

This nonsense raises it's head every few months and it's always bullshit.

Excuse you?

Tell that to the guys that got up a few days ago to find their cloned modems no longer work.

It's just a trial, infact, it's the same setup comcast use over in the USA to stop cloners.

I could care less what people believe but dogging me down for no reason accusing me of lying because i work for VM, how mature that is.

In Nottingham with at least 4 modems still fine so doubt this very much

You'll get caught, this isnt an instant thing.

They monitor you for a while, catch you out. then your modem(s) stop working.

And if your really unlucky, like the guy yesterday in Balderton (if any of you know where that is)

Who had 6 modems running & 4 dtv boxes, you'll get the wires cut far enough down as so you cant re-connect them, banned from using their services ever again and they also send a letter of warning to BT.

Course, i assume most guys on here thought VM wasnt gonna implement STM when they said they wouldnt..

like the guy yesterday in Balderton (if any of you know where that is)

Who had 6 modems running & 4 dtv boxes, you'll get the wires cut far enough down as so you cant re-connect them, banned from using their services ever again
but if they know techs like u the can easily have a fresh repull or get it lash in the pits and ther back in bussiness

And if your really unlucky, like the guy yesterday in Balderton (if any of you know where that is)

Who had 6 modems running & 4 dtv boxes, you'll get the wires cut far enough down as so you cant re-connect them, banned from using their services ever again and they also send a letter of warning to BT.

Course, i assume most guys on here thought VM wasnt gonna implement STM when they said they wouldnt..

are do what i did get another cable pulled altogether , have it hid then if .? they cut it so far you can;t reconnect then u still have that one . bu there is one thing i do know is from a respected member on another forum " VIRGIN'S CONTRACT WITH NAGRA FOR NAGRA 1 ENDS AT THE END OF THE YEAR " so they are probley waiting untill there contract ends then they might change to nagra 2, are some other system .

michael

how do they monitor you mate and catch you out?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back