New drill driver!

ukbob

VIP Old Codger
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new drill/driver,only to be be used at home.

Does De Walt and makita still have the same kudos as years gone by or would they be overkill for simply putting shelves and pictures etc up?

My last one was a 14v cordless Bosch and did the job... (brick walls).

When Lidl did their deals the other month I replenished all mine for a diy referb. I bought one of these

PARKSIDE 20V CORDLESS IMPACT DRIVER/ HAMMER DRILL 3 IN 1 BARE UNIT ONLY 4056233858587 | eBay

I'm very impressed and blitzes through brick and concrete.
I don't have a Makita and De Walt to compare against so I can only vouch for mine.
If your an odd job type DIY'er then I'm sure the Parkside would do the job.
I never see the point in really spending lots on top end tools that's unless your using them 8-10 hours a day for a living

When Lidl did their deals the other month I replenished all mine for a diy referb. I bought one of these

PARKSIDE 20V CORDLESS IMPACT DRIVER/ HAMMER DRILL 3 IN 1 BARE UNIT ONLY 4056233858587 | eBay

I don't have a Makita and De Walt to compare against so I can only vouch for mine.
I never see the point in really spending lots on top end tools that's unless your using them 8-10 hours a day for a living
I bought one of these when they where in stock a couple of months ago and I am well pleased with it for the money.

This link doesn't have a battery.
I went for this one
Mac Allister MSDD18-Li-2 18V 1.5Ah Li-Ion Cordless Drill Driver

I bought one of these when they where in stock a couple of months ago and I am well pleased with it for the money.

You bought a drill without a battery? yer having a laugh lol. :confused:

There's one good thing about buying one these drills bob, no complaints from
the neighbours....their silent. :D

Last edited:
depends on your budget.

For me Dewalt are without a doubt the best value for money. Have used them, Hilti, Makita, Roybi and many other and i dont think you can beat the quality for the price. I converted many people to them over the years. They are built to last too. Use to use mine very heavily and never had an issue with them. Even now when i go to the damp shed to get one i know i dont have to worry about one of there tools not working even thought it may be 6 -12 months since i last used it.

Recently brought for the father in law and he was very happy with it.
DeWalt DCZ298D2T-SFGB 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion XR Cordless Combi Drill & Impact Driver Twin Pack

You bought a drill without a battery? yer having a laugh lol. :confused:

There's one good thing about buying one these drills bob, no complaints from
the neighbours....their silent. :D
I bought the base unit, battery and charger. The batteries fit other parkside tools, so interchangeable.
When Lidl have them in they sell really quick and a lot of them end up on eBay for double the price🙄. Mine drove four inch screws straight into timber without drilling a pilot hole👍Just under fifty quid for the lot.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

depends on your budget.

For me Dewalt are without a doubt the best value for money. Have used them, Hilti, Makita, Roybi and many other and i dont think you can beat the quality for the price. I converted many people to them over the years. They are built to last too. Use to use mine very heavily and never had an issue with them. Even now when i go to the damp shed to get one i know i dont have to worry about one of there tools not working even thought it may be 6 -12 months since i last used it.

Recently brought for the father in law and he was very happy with it.
DeWalt DCZ298D2T-SFGB 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion XR Cordless Combi Drill & Impact Driver Twin Pack
Same here. Most of my tools are DeWalt. I used them professionally and now I'm finished still buy DeWalt for quality and reliability.

Cheap brands are ok for the occasional bit of DIY but will rarely last the test of time or are found wanting when the going gets tough. My tools will be passed to my son when I'm gone. If I decided to sell instead some time in the future they would still command a fair price.

I forgot to mention I got a three year guarantee with the items I bought.
They are Made by Einhell a German company.
I think the reason they sell out so quick is the value for money.
I would also add if you are only going to use it for occasional DIY jobs don’t spend hundreds of pounds on a piece of kit that is not going to get used very often.

I have a dewalt XR cordless that i bought a few years ago from B & Q. You can feel the quality and i never worry about the battery having no charge in it.

I forgot to mention I got a three year guarantee with the items I bought.
They are Made by Einhell a German company.
I think the reason they sell out so quick is the value for money.
I would also add if you are only going to use it for occasional DIY jobs don’t spend hundreds of pounds on a piece of kit that is not going to get used very often.
My son has lent me his one of these...i like it
i'll be looking for one myself.

Thanks for the replies chaps,and sorry for the delay in replying.... missus is ripping me man cave to bits as we speak....
she wants the bedroom back.
I'll get my own back when i put some wonky shelves up.

My son has lent me his one of these...i like it
i'll be looking for one myself.

Thanks for the replies chaps,and sorry for the delay in replying.... missus is ripping me man cave to bits as we speak....
she wants the bedroom back.
I'll get my own back when i put some wonky shelves up.
I think Lidl only have them in once a year but you might pick one up on eBay but people tend to inflate the price of them for profit.

Back