Mobile Phones New BT Master Socket

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I fit a new BT master socket myself or does BT have to do it? Reason I ask we are building a new house and BT want £124.99 to do it... When the old house was demolished we rolled up the above telephone cable and attached it to the pole on the street.

Would it be a matter of getting the same cable and connecting to the house and then wiring it up to a master socket?

What parts would I need?

Also got telephone service with Virgin Media but as far as I am aware they will do the transfer and install for free.

Might cancel BT all together and just stick with Virgin and get a 2nd line but would like to have BT socket wired in the house just incase we change our mind later.

upto the master socket belongs to bt, but i would stick it back in your self if you can as its only two wires used, normally the blue and blue/white

I did it myself when they were first introduced. Then you had to pay about £9 amonth for their old telephone, when a new modern one was only about twice that price.
Their did'nt like it when I told them to fetch their phone, but only moaned over it.
Their are plenty people selling them on the net,and should come with easy instructions.

Just fit the socket Bally Then argue the toss, The prob will be if they have used the pair @ the cabinet, so technically your not connected.

BT often will do a deal for free connection or Talk Talk I think are offering free connection @ the mo. It's handy to have BT as an Option keep it seperate to Virmin so you have 2 Master Sockets.

Post Office too were offering 'Free re-connection' with 1 of their call packages - was quite cheap too! Always something to remember

Yeah its a standard charge these days, and you will need to be jumpered at the exchange and the cabinet. You can install it yourself mate, but they will still charge you for connecting the line.

Well if they going to charge in any case might aswell get them to do it properly? Seems a totally unreasonable amount but I would prefer to have two master sockets one VM and one BT.

We wanted to remove the main socket from the hall to the living room. XLN first said they want 125 or so for removing socket. had 1 month left on contract with xln. got rewired canceled contract and gonna go with bt from next month...

We were with xln (they rent line from bt) and told them there was major fault with the line kept disconnectiong when answering and making calls..Took a month and so they finally got an engineer out and said theres a fault. all cables were loose old etc..got him 2 re wire all the cable and install a new bt socket in the living room..

Surely if your having a new house built they should do it for free cos your gonna have a 12 month contract with them hence would they not want your business.....

Dont know if this will help ya thought thought id let u know cos im right chuffed got all dont for free lol...

With it being a new build m8 try sky
They use open reach to do the work (same as bt ) but at a fraction of the cost.
I got mine in for £20 from sky

With it being a new build m8 try sky
They use open reach to do the work (same as bt ) but at a fraction of the cost.
I got mine in for £20 from sky

But then it would mean having telephone with sky? Is that the same with as swithcing from BT to talktalk as an example?

But then it would mean having telephone with sky? Is that the same with as swithcing from BT to talktalk as an example?

Yes m8, Baiscally Every other Telecoms provider uses the BT Network apart from Virmin who have there own. Thats why it's useful to have a Master Socket from both to keep your options open for the best broadband telephone deals from any provider.

Yes m8, Baiscally Every other Telecoms provider uses the BT Network apart from Virmin who have there own. Thats why it's useful to have a Master Socket from both to keep your options open for the best broadband telephone deals from any provider.

So without sound thick Sky will install master socket which is basically a BT master socket in disguise?

So without sound thick Sky will install master socket which is basically a BT master socket in disguise?

I'm pretty sure it will be a BT Engineer from OpenReach that will fit the socket!

I'm pretty sure it will be a BT Engineer from OpenReach that will fit the socket!

It is an open reach engineer.
Its the exact same work as bt would do. You will have to take sky line rental for a year but its a pound a month cheaper than bt.

Yeh think BT is about £20ish a month with unlimited calls

Back