new box help

logic_187

Inactive User
Reaction score
i'm in the market for a new box, and have narrowed it down to either the dream box 500s or the technomate 9100, but dont know which.

can i get some views on which one is better for :

stability
speed of scan
speed of channel changes
functionality
file support
pic /sound quality etc etc

i've heard the 9100 is getting a lot better and the old stability bugs have been ironed out. ..... is this true?

Also am i correct in thinking both open the same packages?

thanks

Dreambox will always be better. Years and years of support behind them.

Both open the same packages with the same emu.

stability - dreambox
speed of scan - same
speed of channel changes - same
functionality - dreambox
file support - dreambox
pic /sound quality etc etc - same

9100 is a lot cheaper because it's a newer receiver. It also has PVR functionality but not all functions work yet. Record and playback work but pause and resume don't. The 9100 is also good if you have a dreambox for cable in the same room; the same remote operates both boxes lol.

None of the big image creators, i.e. Gemini, PLi, Nabilo, etc. have made an image for the 9100 and IMO these images are better than what's currently available for the 9100. But of course they've have more time to create the images for the dreambox as it's been around for ages.

@Devilfish you said the 9100 is cheaper...from where ive seen them both for £139.99 ...do you know where it is cheaper?

EDIT:
forgot to ask if either can take cams? or is it card slot only?

thanks

The tm9100 does have a cam slot so that you can add a cam, the dm500 does not have a cam slot. Of course both boxes have multicam card slots so thats like a built in cam anyway.
I agree with Devilfish although i'd say perhaps the tm9100 has more functionality due to the basic pvr and cam slot- but these functions involve spending more money so maybe its not a fair judgement? :)

When I said dreambox has more functionality, I was meaning that the images for the dreambox have more in them. There are more plugins and extras for dreambox images that haven't been developed for the 9100.

Although the 9100 can support multiboot and you can put more than one image on a SD card, no more completely bricking your box lol, if the new image doesn't work, just load another one. ;) The 500 doesn't have this option as it doesn't have a usb connection or memory card slot. The 7000 series dreambox does though but they're much more expensive.

@pinky@ and @devil

thanks for the info its just the type of info i was looking for!

now just a case of waiting for the postal strike to be over or going down to my local sat store...... do you know where i can get a competitive price for either the boxes? the cheapest place i have found is xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
m8 ive sent you a PM with a contact of a friend of mine who will beat that price, and citylink next day delivery ;)

Back