New box for motorised system to watch footie

osbald16

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all - looking for box simple to use - main purpose to watch footie (Gooners)

Retired in rural France so streaming is poor

Currently rely on TM6800HD (original) with motorised dish which is easy to use / patch etc, but limited choice of channels now

It seems, looking round this site, that for a linux box detailed knowledge is required (tho plenty of support always available here I know), but I would rather not if there is an alternative (have a smattering of Unix systems but tried to avoid it as I preferred higher level languages at work!)

All suggestions welcome

budget - 100-200 pnds or equiv

Has to be simple to use for other half if necessary !

the TM5402 would be a good choice for you, less than £150, all the menu options will be familiar for you as the menu system is the same, with added things like youtube, net radio, the ability to connect to remote servers, media player, avi / divx player, and more

If HD isn't a necessity then I would go for a TM500s for around £80, probably the most user friendly box around.

If HD isn't a necessity then I would go for a TM500s for around £80, probably the most user friendly box around.

ok for shoving on a fixed dish but awfull for anything else imo,regards mdt

get a vu+solo (genuine)...simple, well supported....

amiko alien maybe cheap enough :)

cheers
osborne82

Thanks to all for responses

A few points of clarification here of my requirements - my Broadband is 2mbps so at or below the limit for good streaming and terrestrial in France is now going all HD, so I want an all HD stb with 1 or 2 tuners for satellite

I believe vu+ and amiko are linux based but simple to set up and use (from these forums) , and clearly well supported,

Digidude - The TM5402 seems (imo) to be struggling for quality by comparison to my old 6800 from all I read on the TM forum

Thanks again to all

the amiko alien2 is twin satellite tuner, with the option of a DVB T/C tuner as well, or the alien 2+ is twin sat and DVB-T2 (HD) and can be used in either linux or non linux mode

the TM-twin is another receiver that can be used as linux, or non linux, its virtually identical to the Duo, but it has more memory, and extra hardware, such as IF loopthrough and an RF output, its now cheaper than the duo in most place as well

then you have the TM-2T, which is a stripped down version of the TM-TWIN, but, with more memory than the tm-twin, and the vu duo combined, and more on top, again, its a dual boot receiver, so can be used in linux or non linux mode, and has RF output, and is cheaper than the tm-twin, this would be at around the top end of your budget, maybe a little more, but, would be the best youd get for the money

Back