Peripherals Nas

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Guy's,

Looking at getting a Nas Box for all my media and backing up my pc.

Looking to set it up so xbmc can see it also which isnt going to be a issue,

Anyone recommend a decent enough make/model maybe something with 3TB

Mike

Ive got a buffalo link station 2tb .never had a seconds problem .everything connects to it hassle free .bittorrent .and also connected printer to it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

In case it's of interest, Maplin have a WD 4TB NAS on offer at £170, cat. no. A19LX.

i've been using synology ds210j there are newer models out. got 2 spaces for whatever hdd you want to use. got sabnzbd setup on it aswell

Ive been using netgear pro duo 2 for about 18months and its been EXCELLENT.
Ive had other nas boxes in the past but this one has the X-Raid which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to other setups.
The X-Raid is automatic, you start of with one hhd and it wont be backed up, as soon as you add more it will automatically restripe the drives and expand the storage whilst still in use, my old nas if i wanted more storage i had to remove the drive back it up then reformat them to add the drives, taking my storage of line for days at a time.
ALSO
if your getting any drives look at the WD reds with nas ware.
I have one in my setup (segate failed after 14 months). The wd reds are slightly more expensive than standard drives but they have a 3 year warrenty, and they consume less power, make less noise. The temp it runs at is a lot lower, under load my standard seagates hit about 44-50 degrees, but the wd red never goes above 29 even under very heavy loads.
Heres a screen shot, you will see the wd on the bottom
Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 02.34.08.png

btw with 4x 3tb drives im getting 8.1tb of storage with x-raid so approx 1/3 more space than i had on my last mirrored array

I've been using a Synology DS-106j for about 6 Years and it's still going, I've since replaced it with a homebrew device (Low power Atom computer) but it's running at my parents house for remote backups

I did some research into this and chose a Zyxel NSA320. Available for about £60, thought you do have to add your own HDDs. has two bays so can go up to 6gb with various RAID options. Has excellent cloud access options also

Back