Nas drive help choosing

Steve2k34

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all I'm just looking into to nas drives at the moment while i try and sort some funds out for one I've been looking around and it seems synology and qnap are the best ones unless others can disagree ?But i cant decide on what to get.

Here is a break down of what I'm looking for and can't think of what else there is out there for me to add on.

Pretty fast

Be able to put At least 2 drives in

Able to use as separate drives or raid

Able to use for nzb or torrents

Able to mess about with different plug ins or add on's

Maybe in future be able to add on an ip camera

Something quiet

Have one that can switch it self on and off when needed from other computers or locations so I can keep power to a minimum

Be able to access it from different locations

Can be accessed via iPad or iPhone
If there is anything else people could add please let me no and I'm looking to spend up to the £200 ish mark

Many thanks for reading
be able to give friends a link of some sort to be able to download a fine from my nas

Don't think so, the disks spin down after a set period though. But if i'm honest most NAS boxes do that and it isn't really that loud/power hungry. I'm aware Buffalo Livestations have a AUTO mode which does something like WOL, but you will lose some of the features/ability of the QNAP.

I didn't look at the 219 personally, I'm just aware that was the smaller version that may suit your needs.

To reduce energy consumption, TS-412 supports HDD standby, which will make HDD go into sleep mode after some period of service inactivity. During HDD standby, the NAS is still turned on and checks for incoming packets/traffic.
If your PC is trying to access the NAS, the HDD will spin up again.

QNAP Turbo NAS Software User Manual

In addition, TS-419P+ supports wake on LAN by hardware design, so the NAS can be completely turned off and the network interface card will stay alive to listen to the incoming traffic (the Magic packet).
You'll need a tool that supports Wake On LAN to turn on the NAS (e.g. QNAP Finder).

Thanks for helping with that as like I said I'm gonna try and do some research into it all before I buy

Back