My First Foray into satellite

cossie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I was a an avid cable user until a few years ago and have now decided to venture into the realms of satellite. I'm contemplating a TM5402HD as a first purchase, unsure of whether to go fixed or motorised at present. Any advice offered will be greatly appreciated as a potential retail visit this afternoon is on the cards. Also, if anyone can recommend any places in the North West (UK) that I can go to this afternoon to buy and take home, that wold be great (Merseyside/Cheshire/Gtr Manchester etc).

Thanks all

Cossie

Depends on what you want if you just want to stick tothe U.K then fixed otherwise motorised to see whats to see onother satellites.
TM5402HD is a good choice on the internet you may get cheaper prices.

Thanks manic01, I have no idea what you mean ;-) The othe rmeans always interests me, purely from a porgramming point of view you understand. Is tha picture quality good from an HD perspective from what you know?

Depends on what you want if you just want to stick tothe U.K then fixed otherwise motorised to see whats to see onother satellites.
TM5402HD is a good choice on the internet you may get cheaper prices.

I'm more of a see it/pick it up/walk away type of guy (paying of course first! LOL). The internet is a great place for price, but I do like to have it in my hand when I pay. Impatient I have been described as before now!!

Thanks manic01, I haven't investigated the cardsharing element as my first aim is to see what's out there and fta. You say peanuts for the FTA stb file, are these legal and freely available? I really don't know where to start looking. I'm not a big fan of subscription services, but never say never!

You can get a openbox hd card sharing receiver for less than £50 fom ebay also wifi for a few pounds more.
These do what you want.
The tm5402 will give better epg on 28e only.

The openbox has good picture easy to setup and use but only now and next epg, before you buy another thing to consider which a lot of people forget (because we get used sky+ boxes) is single or dual tuner for recording and watching another channel and a better epg that goes with it.

The openbox has good picture easy to setup and use but only now and next epg, before you buy another thing to consider which a lot of people forget (because we get used sky+ boxes) is single or dual tuner for recording and watching another channel and a better epg that goes with it.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! Now I'm confused! I think I will go out and get the TM now and just have a play, see what I can do! I'm more of a player with this type of thing and the channels received is a bonus :)

And I wouldn't count on CS working for much longer..

First steps taken. 60cm dish, TM5402 and a little tinkering, with a test C Line code and I have access to 'a lot of channels' for the next 36 hours. Went for the small non-motorised dish for now as I wasn't sure of the value of the extra investment in a large motorised dish until I have started tinkering :)

Great forums and lots of advice/help and information. Thanks guys

Cossie :)

they have been saying that for the last 5 years.. one door closes and another opens. might be good thing to get rid of the quick fix plug and play brigade and the greedy payserver/ebay idiots who are ruining everything for us sat-freaks. regards mdt

i havent found a decent free server yet, iam more than happy to pay 130 a year considering how many packages i clear and i never really have any problems, my point being i dont see why a decent free server would spend a shed load of cash on cards to just share them out for free ?? whats in it for them ? my pay server may make alot of cash doing so but we the clients are saving 100s of pounds a year and we get everything that we can ask for, seems to me, if you want quality, you have to pay for it.iam not sure how the payserver is ruining it for everyone ??
they have been saying that for the last 5 years.. one door closes and another opens. might be good thing to get rid of the quick fix plug and play brigade and the greedy payserver/ebay idiots who are ruining everything for us sat-freaks. regards mdt

the only thing s*y have done recently is send out high ecms on the sports package.my server solved it straight away, so that didnt work either, for every problem there is a solution, cs is gonna be around for a long time yet i think

Back