MTU settings

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score
Have any of you messed with your MTU settings? Just wondering whether to bother or not? Have checked my optimum level so know this and was just interested to hear peoples experiences.

EDIT** lol OK just changed it and yeah it was well worth it. Pages of internet load alot quicker now.

Last edited:
standard is 1500 init ?

what did u do to change it and how did u test ?

yeah for XP auto set to 1500.

Start -> Run then type ping "chicagotech.net -f -l 1460"

If you get "packet needs to be fragmented but packet set" then decrease then number by 10 and try again. Keep trying till you get "reply.........." then increase number by 1 till you get your optimum setting.

Once you have your max setting before packet size needs fragmented you need to change settings in your registry.

look here to see how to do it

Just a note say for instance you max is 1450, you add 28 on to this to make it 1478 and this is the value you use as your appropriate MTU value"

Last edited:
ok ta for that i will have a look 2 morro, i have 2 many things downloading at mo :) to muck about with i/net settings.

ill report back with what i find....

ice2004,

what was your MTU before and after yoiu changed it?
did you use a speed test site to measure the differencxe?

obwan

ice2004,

what was your MTU before and after yoiu changed it?
did you use a speed test site to measure the differencxe?

obwan

XP is auto set to 1500 and i changed mine to 1450. Pages of net load alot faster but not done a speed check.

I experimented a bit but it didn't seem to make a difference what the
MTU was. Maybe it was ok to begin with?

Anyway would I be right in saying that it only effects the upload speed
and not the download speed?

yeah for XP auto set to 1500.

Just a note say for instance you max is 1450, you add 28 on to this to make it 1478 and this is the value you use as your appropriate MTU value"

oh well perhaps m/soft know best :) highest figure before error was 1472 + 28 = 1500 :)

Back