MP3 problem

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, can anybody help.

i have a Sony in car radio, it had dab radio, mp3 and audio 6 cd changer usb, ipod and aux inputs.

i have a problem with 2 audio books, normally i just put on usb stick and away i go, i have 2 that give invalid file when i try and play them.

at the moment i have 6 books and a load of music on the stick all the others are fine.

i have checked the two that give invalid file they dont have jpg or txt files just the mp3's in the directory, they both play ok with windows media player / vlc etc on the pc, i have looked at the id tags and the copyright bit is not set.

does anybody have any other ideas at what i can look at i would be grateful.

i can convert to M4a and then to M4b and put on my ipod if all else fails but i would like to sort in case i get any others

It might be that the bit rate is too low, as they are speech rather than music. Check the Sony manual and make sure it can handle the (possible) lower bitrate.

you may have something there.... both the audiobooks that will not play and give invalid file are rerecorded at 32kbps and the onse that are ok are 64kbps the music is much higher.

i will see if i can re-record at a higher bit rate.

as to manual trying to find anything like that on the ford web site is a no go :) its in a Mondeo Titanuim X 2012 model year standard fit.

ill get back to you and let you know.

Hi used fairstars audio converter and changed track 1 to 64Kbps and 128Kbbps but still says invalid file :-(

shame thought you might have had the answer there....

i will convert to M4b and put on my ipod in the morning and see if that works

Bummer, do you have a different encoder with a different mp3 CODEC to try?? I have had this with some mp3 head units, they would play certain codecs, but not others; in the end I encoded all mine as mp3Pro codecs.

If it is any consolation, it has taken me several MONTHS to get a Huawai Mifi unit unlocked and working on a different network - one simple mistake had stopped me cold for weeks!!

Hi i have just checked there are a whole load of different encoders used

FGH on both books that dont work

Fairstars used Lame to convert track 1 to 64Kbps

one of the other books that works is FGH too...

the others are Xing, Blade and Lame.

I have just encoded the original track 1 with audition 3.0 and saved at MP3pro.... same :-(

too late now will try ipod tomorrow.

cheers CC

Sorry I cannot do anything more to help; I had one of the earliest mp3 playing head units and it was the same, some of the tracks just would not play properly, even when they were ripped from the same album at the same bit rate as everything else.

All I can suggest is trawling the torrent sites to try and find a different version of the same files, and see if they work; or there is one kludge that might work - try recording the tracks using a microphone, then convert the recording back into an mp3 file, ie: play through some speakers on another device and record the analogue waveforms using the microphone back onto the PC as a new digital track.

@ CC

converted mp3 to M4b and loaded into ipod as audiobook and it works so i came back in the warm and copied MP3 to ipod as music and that works too.

Now i cant remember if itunes does anything to the files when you put them on a device.

the only thing i can think of now is compatability with usb stick..... the one i have been using is a Kingston 8G ill hunt out another stick and try that tomorrow.

thanks for suggestions :)

If worst comes to worst again mate burn them in iTunes as an audio cd then rip the cd into mp3, then you'll be able to up the bitrate to say, 128 so even though it won't actually improve audio quality it should then hopefully play in your head unit as an mp3 file

Sent from my telephone.

If worst comes to worst again mate burn them in iTunes as an audio cd then rip the cd into mp3, then you'll be able to up the bitrate to say, 128 so even though it won't actually improve audio quality it should then hopefully play in your head unit as an mp3 file

That might not work, as it will still be digital, if it is a digital problem it wont solve it; converting to analogue, then redigitising should work, although the quality will take a small hit.

well after a bit of playing about i have a solution, its not sorting the mp3 but by accident i have found out the head unit reads and plays M4a files so its not too bad.

Back