MP 'claimed for church donation'

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
MP 'claimed for church donation'

o.gif
_45847386_000393821-1.jpg

Labour MP Frank Cook claimed on expenses for a £5 church donation he made at a Battle of Britain memorial service, the Sunday Telegraph reports.
The MP for Stockton-on-Tees submitted the 2006 claim with a handwritten note, but it was later rejected by the Commons Fees Office, the paper says.
Mr Cook said he did not recall the claim and described it as "a mistake".
News of that claim comes as party leaders make more calls to reform the expenses system for MPs.
The government is considering introducing a legally-binding code of conduct for MPs that would cover minimum standards of service to constituents.
Tory leader David Cameron has given his backing to Liberal Democrat calls for powers to allow voters force out MPs who break Commons rules.
Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg has suggested a "recall" mechanism that would be triggered if 5% of constituents signed a petition demanding a by-election. It would only apply to someone found guilty of wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, Foreign Secretary David Miliband has called for a "new approach to politics" in the wake of the MPs' expenses scandal.
'No other claims'
In its latest expenses story, the Sunday Telegraph says the handwritten note attached to Mr Cook's donation claim read: "Battle of Britain church service, Sunday 17.09.06. £5 contribution to offertory on behalf of Frank Cook MP."
But Mr Cook told the BBC he could not recall putting in the claim and had no record of it.
"I'm assuming that the Telegraph report is accurate. I'm sorry and it was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened," he said.
o.gif

"In the 26-and-a-half years I've been an MP I've been to many memorial and funeral services and I haven't claimed for any other donations or wreaths."
The Telegraph also reports on further claims made by other MPs, including reimbursement for bathmats and carpets bought in India.
David Cameron has also been explaining his second home claim.
The Mail on Sunday reports he paid off the remaining £75,000 of a mortgage on his London home using his own money, shortly after taking out a £350,000 mortgage on his constituency home in 2001.
He used the second homes allowance to pay the interest on the new mortgage. Mr Cameron did not break any rules and his office said the taxpayer had not lost any money.
The Telegraph also features an ICM poll which suggests more people intend to vote Liberal Democrat than Labour in the next general election.
The survey put Gordon Brown's party in third place for the first time since 1987 on just 22% - three points behind the Lib Dems and 18 behind the Conservatives.
'In a mess'
In response to public anger over MPs expenses, Mr Miliband has called for a "new approach to politics".
The foreign secretary wrote in the News of the World that British politics was "in a mess" and needed shaking up.
An elected House of Lords and greater powers for local communities were essential to make politics "more accountable, more in touch, less elitist", he said.
"'Never waste a crisis' is a good guide to getting out of a mess. And British politics has got into a mess," he wrote.
"At just the time when our problems need a new approach to politics, the expenses scandal has given people good reason to give up on politics altogether."
'Bread and butter'
But it was crucial to turn the anger into real change, he said.
"We have to start with expenses. Personally I don't care what system we have so long as it is clear, open and credible with the public - and we have to get it done quickly.
"But we can't stop there. Some people have said that constitutional reform is a 'middle-class issue', whatever that is. That's rubbish.
"We can't tackle the bread-and-butter issues unless our politics is more accountable, more in touch, less elitist."

Its a disgrace some of the items claimed, Some of our MSPs in Scotland even claimed monies for Wreaths for remembrance day, They should hand they heads in shame and be sacked and not allowed to step down 1st.

I always said id do the same if i was an MP.. really tear the ass out of the system..

But what he done and what the scottish MPs done is going to far..

nothing now would surprise me with this Parliament there is something new every day very sad

What get's me is how come no one has been charged with anything? They have been ripping us, the tax payers, off for how many years and apart from naming and shaming, that's it. If a taxpayer rips the government off for example not paying their council tax, the get prosecuted.

What sickens me most I am a civil servant if I had claimed for what the MP's claimed I'd be locked up by now :arrrr:

Sack the lot of em!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagin the outrage if it was a muslim donating to a mosque...:eatarrow:

These people are monsters that have no morals.
What's really pi***** me off is their attitude afterwards.
They actually believe they haven't done anything wrong and that the system is at fault for not being clear enough.
Enough is enough, boot them out and start again.
An example should be made and charges should be brought up sending a clear message that we should not fear the government, they should fear us...

They should do what they do in america and give their office a small lump sum to spend as they see fit. They would soon be much more thrifty when they know its not coming out of the publics bottomless purse but rather their own small allowance.

Back