Mozilla slams out of date IE9 browser

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
IE9 'not a truly modern browser', says Firefox maker

Mozilla has launched a scathing attack on Microsoft, criticising the latest Internet Explorer release for not being modern enough, and highlighting a number of ways in which it is failing.

Paul Rouget, technology evangelist at Mozilla, commended IE9 for being better than IE8, but said it still does not stand up against the competition.

"IE9 is a step in the right direction, but I don't believe it to be a truly modern browser," he wrote in a blog post.

Rouget cited several reasons why IE9 is failing, starting with its lack of support for modern web standards, including HTML5.

Microsoft's claims about IE9's support features are flawed, according to Rouget, because they are drawn from internal Microsoft tests. Worse still, they were created during the development of the browser.

"Does IE9 support 99 per cent of the HTML5 specification as insinuated by Microsoft? No, they're actually pretty far from it," he said.

"The tests Microsoft are referring to are the ones they created during the development of IE9. It's not that surprising that they pass the very tests they used to design and develop the browser."

Rouget pointed out that the independent Caniuse test, which assesses browser support for HTML5, CSS3 and SVG, returns a score of 87 per cent for Firefox 4 and 61 per cent for IE9. "The reality is that IE9 is two years late," he said.

Regardless of the Caniuse test and others, Rouget believes that there are more fundamental problems with IE9, including a lack of support for dragging and dropping icons from the desktop, no use of JavaScript code and no HTML5 forms.

Source

has this officially been released?

Shock horror, mozilla attacks IE. And what the hell is a 'technology evangelist' anyway ???

From my own experiance firefox is a memory hog and still has compatibility issues with some sites.

Tell you what, IE 9 gets a better FPS on most if not all HTML demos i've tried, than FF. Chrome has the best performance, but IE 9 is a very nice upgrade from 8.

IE is crap..stopped using it since IE5 and never looked back. Funny how I havent had any malware issues and slow web browsing systems crashes when browsing the net since ditching IE.
Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc all are all better than IE. True some websites do have issues with browsers other than IE...this is due to poor coding/design of the sites.
Web browsers should adhere to open Web standards...IE doesnt..

Can't use IE on my computer as it isnt compatible.. there's from what ive read too many flaws with it.. with hackers etc..

Im a FF user but did use chrome up until about 2 week ago.

Well i'm still using IE. I've tried FF, Opera and Chrome but I always come back eventually to using IE. Currently on 8 did try the beta 9 found it slowed browsing a bit so switched back to 8 for now. Not had any issues with viruses or malware scince i stopped using torrents, Mozilla are going to slate the opposition arent they?

thebigman

Well i'm still using IE. I've tried FF, Opera and Chrome but I always come back eventually to using IE. Currently on 8 did try the beta 9 found it slowed browsing a bit so switched back to 8 for now. Not had any issues with viruses or malware scince i stopped using torrents, Mozilla are going to slate the opposition arent they?

thebigman

they seem to have fixed the speed issues with the release candidate which is now available.

Back