MOT failure

zippo84

Inactive User
Reaction score
I put my car in for mot last week and it's going to cost me about £800 to fix it and the car would only be worth about £1500 after everyting is fixed.
It's still mot'd till end off the month so I went to a dealer yesterday to see if they would take it as a trade in and they offered me £800 but i've not told them about all the stuff it needs done.
Can they come back to me after I trade it in?
I know they can check past mot's online now.

I put my car in for mot last week and it's going to cost me about £800 to fix it and the car would only be worth about £1500 after everyting is fixed.
It's still mot'd till end off the month so I went to a dealer yesterday to see if they would take it as a trade in and they offered me £800 but i've not told them about all the stuff it needs done.

No m8 they can't. They've offered you £800 for a car with 1 months MOT.

End of story.

M8 the dealer will not care what the car needs all he will care about is getting the sale. Sold as seen.

Last edited:

As V14 has already said there would be nothing they can do, the car is bought as seen so you will have no problems

Good to hear. I'm getting the car today. He asked me if everyting seemed fine I just said yeah. If he call's after sale I just wont answer the phone lol.
At the end of the day he could have had a proper look but he never

you will find they are buying your car for like a few hundred quid

the rest of the money they have offered u for it is the margin between unit price and sellers price concerning the car your buying

I use to be in car sales buddy :p

I have heard of garages ringing up customers about p/x and threatened em after they found faults with cars and demanded money back,they are chancing it thinking the customer is gullible and naive

if they do this with you tell em sold as seen and to go away otherwise police will be informed

you will find they are buying your car for like a few hundred quid

the rest of the money they have offered u for it is the margin between unit price and sellers price concerning the car your buying

I use to be in car sales buddy :p

I have heard of garages ringing up customers about p/x and threatened em after they found faults with cars and demanded money back,they are chancing it thinking the customer is gullible and naive

if they do this with you tell em sold as seen and to go away otherwise police will be informed

Thanks mate. It was just incase they are entitled to this money back from me.

My mate did the same type if thing, it was sold as seen, he was told that his old car was going to an auction.

As said above the garage is only interested in a sale and car under a set value are passed out and not even looked at.

To add insult to in injury he had his new car back to the dealer for even fault he could find during the warranty he had with them and a free service.

it will stay on their forecourt until mot expires, then straight to the auctions!

Back