Mobile Phones and Driving.

I have heard of HGV drivers having their vocational licence revoked for being on a mobile. Beverly Bell has allegedly taken a drivers HGV licence off him because she saw him as she was driving about.
This though still doesn't stop people because 'it will never happen to me' or so they think.
If the thought of you losing your job doesn't stop you. You need to seriously think.

A truck needs 3 times the braking distance of a car doing between 30-45mph and the damage of impact is far greater.
Here's a bit of a read explaining why truck drivers need to be ultra vigilant. How many times have you been driving with a truck sat a few feet from your bumper ?.

Driver behaviour Lorry drivers are often blamed for travelling too close to other vehicles. Video footage of both motorway driving behaviour and crashes makes it clear that drivers may:

Not be aware of the facts
Not believe them
Be convinced it won't ever happen to them
Simply not care
These issues remain a challenge for road safety experts to deal with.

Conclusion:-

There is a difference in braking efficiency between vehicle types. Technology has enabled braking efficiencies in excess of 100%.

The stopping distance of poorly maintained trucks will undoubtedly be far greater than the values found during the experimental demonstrations. However, a higher level of retardation may not be welcomed by drivers hauling 25 tonnes of steel rods positioned one metre away from their back.

They will always obey Newton's Laws and will want to keep going at the pre braking speed. That in itself causes health and safety problems.

I was doing 49mph ( cruise control) in an average speed section in the middle lane with vehicles on my inside and outside, when a lorry came right up behind me (within about 2 feet and started flashing me.
What a pr*ck

I was doing 49mph ( cruise control) in an average speed section in the middle lane with vehicles on my inside and outside, when a lorry came right up behind me (within about 2 feet and started flashing me.
What a pr*ck

On the other hand. I have had someone think that the stopping distance of a 44t 50ft LST Trailer is 2ft off their bumper when they pulled in and slammed the anchors on because we were going into variable speed limits in Birmingham.
There are good and bad in both people. Car and truck drivers.

This has become a common occurrence in 50 mph motorway sections. I'm sure that there are a lot of great truckers out there like @gez, but they seem to be outnumbered by the dickheads these days. Whatever happened to "The Knights of The Road"? : grim :

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an old timer I to keep a steady drive avoiding any hassle. If that means backing off etc then so be it. I use hands free when on the phone but try to minimise it's use.
Some of the younger drivers coming in to this job are excellent and us oldies could learn off them but they are so used to modern technology in everyday use its normal for them.Videos I have made are just a touch of the button to start it going, occasionally I have been guilty of panning the camera but never whilst in traffic and always keeps eyes on road.46 years driving, still a clean licence and accident free (my fault) for the last 20. Driving standard are slipping and things need to be done to sort it. I have no idea how that's going to happen.
Mrs Bell has been videod driving fast and using a mobile (allegedly) Google it to see.

Being an old timer I to keep a steady drive avoiding any hassle. If that means backing off etc then so be it. I use hands free when on the phone but try to minimise it's use.
Some of the younger drivers coming in to this job are excellent and us oldies could learn off them but they are so used to modern technology in everyday use its normal for them.Videos I have made are just a touch of the button to start it going, occasionally I have been guilty of panning the camera but never whilst in traffic and always keeps eyes on road.46 years driving, still a clean licence and accident free (my fault) for the last 20. Driving standard are slipping and things need to be done to sort it. I have no idea how that's going to happen.
Mrs Bell has been videod driving fast and using a mobile (allegedly) Google it to see.

We seem to have quite a few agency drivers that are not from the UK shall we say.
For me, their driving standards or piss poor at best.
We seem to be having more of the 'Johnny Flipflops' driving in U.K now. This has driven the average wage down, in my eyes. But also has deterred the industry from getting new blood in.
Why would someone want to lay out £3000 for a HGV Licence, earning £20-23000. When you can get an FLT licence, earn the same and be home every night!!
Something needs to change me thinks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4qcEoQJfo" target="_blank">

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7DLoKTD9vA" target="_blank">

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMswMjk0nZk" target="_blank">

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

All day every day in Malta and they all drink & drive

it definitely hits home this so wrong in so many ways. i had to rewind it a few times. did he actually try to grab his phone after running over the car? I hope there was also a ban for life from Uk roads!

A lot of car stereo now run Android, I take it you would be punished the same for using one of them?

No as its not illegal to use a phone as long as it is properly mounted which a car stereo would be

No as its not illegal to use a phone as long as it is properly mounted which a car stereo would be

So if your phone is in a proper window/vent mount can you legally change destination or change music?

So if your phone is in a proper window/vent mount can you legally change destination or change music?

No, because it is not fixed to the vehicle. AFAIK, fixed means fitted/screwed as a permanent fixture.

A truly sad story, I hope the video has the desired effect in reducing hand-held use. Here (in PT) the fine is a paltry 120€. But fines here are designed more to raise funds for the state than actually reduce crime, otherwise it would be a lot more. The use of handsets goes on unabated and accidents are common.

The Law actually says you can not use a handheld mobile, hands free is fine so any holder will do.

Using mobile phones when driving: the law - GOV.UK

Whilst the (UK) law may seem slightly unclear in this area, there is (and always has been) the 'Driving without due care and attention' law which seems to have been largely forgotten, but could so easily be applied, even for so-called fixed devices.

I haven't driven in the UK for about 12 years so cannot comment on today's standards. But I assume traffic numbers have continued to grow, making it more important than ever to keep the eyes on the road.

Keep safe.

@trevortron, spot on comment, if they can't do you for using a mobile they can and will do you for due care and attention.

Needed a new car stereo last week so got a Bluetooth one installed for £75, so proper hands free

Back