mkv files

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a film i want to watch, but its in mkv format. is playing fine on the laptop but i don't think it will play on my dvd player or media streamer. what do i need to do to convert it. will convertxtodvd do it? :)

or will my media streamer play it in mkv?

ConvertXtoDVD will convert it to a dvd no problem if you end up doing it that way - but it won't be in HD which is what most mkvs are

i doubt this is, its only 700mb, so won't be dts sound either so should play fine for me. having said that i got an optical cable to connect my media streamer to my amp, which does play dts, so should the dts sound play once i hook it up that way? not on this movie obviously but on the other hd ones i have?

Use "mkv2vob" it's free.

It will convert the MKV into a MPG file that almost anything can play, but it will keep the HD quality and surroundsound. It takes about 20 seconds to convert a 1.5gb MKV.

i have a film i want to watch, but its in mkv format. is playing fine on the laptop but i don't think it will play on my dvd player or media streamer. what do i need to do to convert it. will convertxtodvd do it? :)

or will my media streamer play it in mkv?

Google Popcorn MKV Audioconverter, works a treat, it will download all the extra files it needs to work with when you first run it.

i doubt this is, its only 700mb, so won't be dts sound either so should play fine for me. having said that i got an optical cable to connect my media streamer to my amp, which does play dts, so should the dts sound play once i hook it up that way? not on this movie obviously but on the other hd ones i have?

Yes it will play DTS if connected that way... does your amp not have hdmi input and output? if so use that instead no need for two cables then...

Yes it will play DTS if connected that way... does your amp not have hdmi input and output? if so use that instead no need for two cables then...

yes, but i have the hdmi cable connected directly to the tv from the media streamer? are you saying i can connect the media streamer to the amp and not the tv? i already got the optical cable last week, i just havent connected it yet.

yes, but i have the hdmi cable connected directly to the tv from the media streamer? are you saying i can connect the media streamer to the amp and not the tv? i already got the optical cable last week, i just havent connected it yet.

You can leave the HDMI connected to the TV and use the optical cable to your amp. As long as your amp is DTS compatible it will decode it.

The other way would be to leave out the optical cable altogether and connect the HDMI from your player to the amp and then a HDMI cable from the amp to the TV.

Ether way you will get the same sound wether it be DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1.

tbh if your amp supports hdmi in and out why not have one cable from amp to tv and all your other stuff plugged into your amp? I have atv2, ps3, digital box and pc all plugged into my amp via hdmi and then one output to tv....

Really depends on what you use etc... I have an harmony remote press a button and every thing needed turns on and to the correct channel...

tbh if your amp supports hdmi in and out why not have one cable from amp to tv and all your other stuff plugged into your amp? I have atv2, ps3, digital box and pc all plugged into my amp via hdmi and then one output to tv....

Really depends on what you use etc... I have an harmony remote press a button and every thing needed turns on and to the correct channel...

not sure if the amp does or not, its a sony, have it quite a few years, probably doesnt lol

Back