CD & DVD mkv files

Hi, matroska video (mkv) is a 'wrapper' containing a video file and usually (but not always) an audio file.

You need to install a player that can play native mkv files, or alternatively (my favourite) is to install a 'splitter' that works invisibly to unwrap the file every time a program or player (eg media player) opens it.

The best is ....

Haali Media Splitter

Some people will tell you to install other standalone players but I avoid clogging my system up when just installing a codec will do.

Hope this helps,

Messa

EDIT: sorry, to answer your question, once the splitter is installed you can use your normal conversion program to convert it to DVD.

note that when u convert to dvd you will loose the HD quality if its a 720p/1080p file

i use mkv2vob nice program to use also good for ps3

so these programmes
Winff
mkv2vob
will they keep any of the HD quality on the dvd disc ? as I see PleXo says you will loose HD
as I see some films on NG's that say super high quality and wondered if thats what they do to make a film higher quality ?

if you have a blu-ray burner i dont think you will loose any quality but i dont have one i have been encoding mkv to trp files for my tm6900 but been useing mpeg2 got to play around with settings to encode to mpeg 4

Back