Men, Watch Out For Those Phytoestrogens.

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my elder son alerted me to the fact that certain plants and soy in particular, are high in what are called Phytoestrogens. The term 'Phyto' just means of plant origin.

So what, you may say, but just follow what this fact could mean for men in particular. I'm highly lactose intolerant and for many years have enjoyed using soya milk on my two morning bowls of cereals. So, I've been unknowingly on a diet high in plant oestrogens for a considerable time. This means that this will have had the effect of lowering my testosterone levels which is most certainly a highly undesirable effect particularly at a time when they're falling anyway, as I'm now in my mid-sixties. Everyone will know what problems a man could face when confronted by declining testosterone and surely I don't have to spell it out, lol.

Last week, I was talking about this with a friend of mine who happens to be a research scientist. The discussion led to chatting about a favourite seeded bread of mine called Burgen. He laughed when I told him, saying that this bread had a very high percentage of those damned phytoestrogens. This is deliberate with the aim of easing the symptoms of menapausal women.

These phytooestogens can have some very positive effects, perhaps lowering the incidence of certain cancers, but results are very conflicting. Much has been written about effects of various doses of these compound on women but far less regarding the possible effects on men. All I have to say is that I have noticed a considerable positive effect on libido by removing these oestrogens from my diet.

Back