media pc

sparky2002

Inactive User
Reaction score
not looking for help - just fancy a rant as ive got a few beers in me.
my htpc blew up last week for fourth time in its 1 year life.
it was an athlon 2500xp in a hiper media case with watercooling.
it had a habit of burning the 5v line on the atx connector - replaced 20 pin socket on motherboard and 20 pin atx plug to psu twice. got fed up in end and just soldered a big bloody wire direct from psu onto bottom of motherboard.
it has also suffered from random freezing - normally cured by swapping out ram chip.
started being a tw@t last weekend and decided feck it - can't be arsed with this pile of crap any more and decided to start a fresh.

just recieved my gigabyte 690g mb, amd 5000 x2 proc and 2x1gb of xms2 ram today and set about building my new media pc.

had to saw and drill waterblock for northbridge to make the bugger fit. new bracket for cpu water block started at £3.30 plus vat plus delivery plus small order fee made that 7 quid.

Sata connector on gigabyte mb is right angled pointing straight into steel in hiper case just below power button. i'm gonna have to carve a nice hole in front of case (which will be covered with the fascia) with bloody drill & needle files to get sata cable plugged in.

Amd processors now have a chunk of aluminium slapped on top of them which is stopping the lid go on the case properly.

plus ive got to solder another new atx power connector onto me psu. its not fun soldering a 20 pin connector.

should've bought a different case - but nothing else would fit under telly. bloody missus - if i'd had my way - there wouldv'e been just a bog standard pc case sat behind telly ought of sight. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Back