McCann friends to receive damages

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets Hope that they donate all the monies to the The Madeleine Fund

Seven friends who were dining with Kate and Gerry McCann when their daughter Madeleine disappeared are to receive damages from a newspaper group.

Express Newspapers said it was paying a "substantial" sum for publishing untrue allegations about the so-called tapas seven's conduct in the case.

The seven are Jane Tanner, Russell O'Brien, Fiona and David Payne, Matthew and Rachel Oldfield and Diane Webster.

Madeleine, three, of Rothley, Leics, went missing in Portugal in May 2007.

Further details of the payout are expected to emerge at the High Court later.

Both the Daily Express and the Daily Star newspapers have published apologies to the individuals in Thursday's editions.

'Completely untrue'

These are expected to be repeated in the Sunday Express.

The papers said the apologies related to allegations published between July and December 2007.

They said: "We now accept these should never have been made and were completely untrue."

The payout will be donated to the Find Madeline Fund, the paper said.

Madeleine was in a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, with her younger twin siblings when she disappeared on 3 May 2007 - just eight days before her fourth birthday.

Mr and Mrs McCann were having dinner with their friends at a tapas restaurant 100 yards from the apartment at the time.

The friends have since been dubbed the tapas seven by the media.

When Mrs McCann returned to check on the children at 2200 local time, she realised Madeleine had disappeared.

On 15 May 2007, British-born Robert Murat was made an official suspect - or "arguido" - in the case and in September that year Madeleine's parents were also formally named as suspects.

But the police inquiry into the girl's disappearance was wound up this July because of a lack of evidence.

Previous payouts

The McCanns and Mr Murat - who have always strongly denied having had any involvement in what happened to Madeleine - were then declared to no longer be formal suspects

Thursday's newspaper apologies are not the first about articles relating to the case.

Last month The News of the World apologised for publishing extracts of Kate McCann's diary without her permission.

In July Mr Murat accepted a £600,000 damages settlement over allegations in 11 UK newspapers that he had been involved in Madeleine's disappearance.

In March, Madeleine's parents won a libel settlement and apology from Express Newspapers for suggesting they had been responsible.

The newspaper group paid £550,000 to the Find Madeleine campaign and the Daily Express and Daily Star both carried front-page apologies under the headline, "Kate and Gerry McCann: Sorry".

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | UK | McCann friends to receive damages

Published: 2008/10/16 07:21:27 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

They said: "We now accept these should never have been made and were completely untrue."

So why did they print them then? :Kickassro:Kickassro:Kickassro

The question should be why did they leave the kids alone

One way to beat the credit crunch, Loss a kid in Portugal and act heart broken

thats a bit unfair on them to be honest.

Whilst leaving the kids alone is questionable, people shouldnt go pointing the finger of blame at them all the time.

That's a lot harsh.

Cheap joke, and a poor one.

Whilst leaving the kids alone is questionable, people shouldnt go pointing the finger of blame at them all the time.

Why not? if they had acted responsibly would that child be missing today? I think not

That's a lot harsh.

Cheap joke, and a poor one.

It was not meant as a joke but pointing out the amount of money that has been thrown around at a missing child's expanse, a lot of people have made a lot of money from this and still no charges against the parents

It was not meant as a joke but pointing out the amount of money that has been thrown around at a missing child's expanse, a lot of people have made a lot of money from this and still no charges against the parents
I dont think for one minute they expected these sums of money to be thrown at them after she went missing. So as a motive it is a weak one.

Plus the UK and Portugese police will be watching how they spend it very closely.

I also think there are no charges against the parents because they have been investigated and no one can find any evidence they did any thing wrong, other than leave the child unattended.

they have been investigated and no one can find any evidence they did any thing wrong, other than leave the child unattended.

How about child neglect as it is an offence to leave a child alone when doing so puts him or her at risk.

Important things to consider before you decide to leave a child alone.

the age of the child
the child's level of maturity and understanding
the place where child will be left
how long the child will be left alone
whether or not there are any other children alone with the child.
I think they failed the lot dont you ?

How about child neglect as it is an offence to leave a child alone when doing so puts him or her at risk.

Important things to consider before you decide to leave a child alone.

the age of the child
the child's level of maturity and understanding
the place where child will be left
how long the child will be left alone
whether or not there are any other children alone with the child.
I think they failed the lot dont you ?
I think I already mentioned on this thread that they probably shouldnt have left the child alone.

But this doesnt make them guilty for her disappearance.

I say they deserve the comp they did nothing wrong it was Gerry and Kate who negleted their children not their freinds, Maddie was there responsabilty. The stories about them were totally untrue and must have caused a lot of upset. I would bet they would happilly give it all back if it would get Maddie home.

thebigman

What question? No question was asked. This thread is about a serious libel that the Express Group is now paying dearly for. Your reply is gratuitous and pointless.

Lol, it's just dawned on me. :)

Nice try emarald, but you need to cover your tracks better.:Wave:

Back