Man jailed over £250k bus rampage

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A man who took a bus on a 30-mile joyride through West Yorkshire leaving a £250,000 trail of destruction has been jailed.

Shane Oldroyd, 27, of Ossett, stole the single-decker Arriva bus from Wakefield bus station in August because he needed to get home and had no money.

Judge Kerry Macgill told Leeds Crown Court Oldroyd was guilty of "wicked, dangerous and reckless" driving.

He was jailed indefinitely to serve at least three-and-a-half years.

Oldroyd ploughed into more than 50 cars, injured two people, destroyed several walls, road signs and traffic lights and badly damaged buildings during the rampage, Leeds Crown Court was told.

He admitted aggravated vehicle taking and damaging a Mercedes car, and being reckless as to whether life was endangered.

He also pleaded guilty to driving without insurance, driving over the alcohol limit and failing to stop after an accident.

Judge Macgill said he had handed down an indeterminate sentence because Oldroyd posed "a very real risk of serious harm to the public if you were at liberty in the near future".

Prosecutor Simon Haring showed the court CCTV footage, shot from a West Yorkshire police helicopter, which tracked the bus for almost an hour through Wakefield city centre and surrounding towns on 16 August.

The bus was finally brought to a halt on the M1 near Wakefield after police used a stinger device to deflate its tyres.

The court also heard that when Oldroyd was taken off the bus by police, he said: "So what? I took a bus for a nice little ride."

Also on the bus with him was a friend, 20-year-old Sarah Smith, of Portobello, Wakefield.

She also admitted aggravated vehicle taking and will be sentenced at a later date.

BBC News - Man jailed over £250k bus rampage

So what? I took a bus for a nice little ride
Shane Oldroyd's words as he was arrested

stupid cnut lucky he didn't kill anyone

Should have been given life time driving ban as well as prison, but even if hed killed someone he would still be allowed to drive after time in prison.

i take it he aint got any family,

cos if he had would he have been such a twat....

Back