Man arrested in tsunami death email probe

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Police say they have arrested a man after a hoaxer posing as a government official emailed relatives of people missing since the Asian tsunami, saying their loved ones had been confirmed dead.

The hoaxer, claiming to be from the "Foreign Office Bureau" in Thailand, targeted people who had placed appeals for information about relatives and friends on the Web site of TV station Sky News.
Police said they had arrested a 40-year-old man in Lincolnshire and seized computer equipment in a joint operation by London's Metropolitan Police and Lincolnshire police.

The man was being questioned at a London police station, a police statement said.

All the messages came from one bogus email address, [email protected].

"The British government would not use email to convey news of the death of a loved one," police said. "Anyone receiving such an email should treat it with utmost caution."

Sky News said it was "disgusted" at the abuse of the message board on its Web site and had contacted police as soon as it was alerted to the hoaxes.

The death toll from the tsunami, triggered by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake off western Indonesia a week ago, stood at almost 130,000 on Sunday, including at least 35 Britons.

What a sick idiot.

They should just through him over some bridge or something, im sure no one will miss him.

hes a cúnt

at 16 i could have put it down to being a little w@nker... but 40 years old is evil to say the least

riksta said:
then make him eat them
: grim : : grim : : grim :
Make sure he Squeezes them as hard as possible before he eats them.

bluesboy said:
Then cut the feckers off

Probably doesn't have any thats why he does sad things like this. What I don't understand other than him getting the thought of someone being saddened by the emails - what other personaly gain would he get. I mean he couldn't see individuals faces to see their reaction - perhaps he was intending to ask for money for some search fees or something - whatever sick fecker.

I watched that documentary on this tonight, ended up in tears with the missus. I was fine until they showed a picture of someone carrying a childs body that looked the same age as my own. heart breaking.

Back