Linux lubuntu can't see 2nd hdd

Super Tele

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
Am a linux newbie and have just installed lubuntu 13.04 on an old pc.
Have subsequently added a second hard drive to the machine but can't see it in lubuntu.
The second hard drive is recognised in the BIOS but cant see it in lubuntu disks, gparted or logical volume management.
Can anyone please help?

Thanks

What do you get if you type:

sudo fdisk -l
I get the following, all of which (I think) refers to the primary hdd which lubuntu can see:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80025280000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156299375 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00099b4c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 155256831 77627392 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 155258878 156297215 519169 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 155258880 156297215 519168 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/mapper/cryptswap1: 531 MB, 531628032 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 64 cylinders, total 1038336 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfea6f147

Disk /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Last edited:
Be careful with gparted as it's a bit cryptic sometimes - check the top right drop-down box, your drive may just be hidden from the default view.

Be careful with gparted as it's a bit cryptic sometimes - check the top right drop-down box, your drive may just be hidden from the default view.
Tried it - the primary hdd is the only one showing in the top right drop down box.

Can you test it in another computer? If it works see if you can delete any existing partitions then try it back under lubuntu.

Run this command and check the results:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Can you test it in another computer? If it works see if you can delete any existing partitions then try it back under lubuntu.

Run this command and check the results:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I know that the drive works because I connected it as the primary then booted the pc from Hirens boot disk, mini xp.
I then created a file and saved it to the disk. I had to format the disk as NTFS to do this - would this cause a problem in lubuntu?

I know that the drive works because I connected it as the primary then booted the pc from Hirens boot disk, mini xp.
I then created a file and saved it to the disk. I had to format the disk as NTFS to do this - would this cause a problem in lubuntu?

Yes M8 - it would normally prevent it auto-mounting. Easier to take it out and remove the partition than explain how to mount it manually!

Yes M8 - it would normally prevent it auto-mounting. Easier to take it out and remove the partition than explain how to mount it manually!
OK Cheers,
Will do as you advise and report how it goes.
In my readings as a newbie on Linux I had seen some stuff on manually mounting drives but it was a bit advanced for me.

OK - deleted the partition - the 2nd hdd is all unallocated space now.
Fired up lubuntu and thought it would auto mount the 2nd hdd - lubuntu still cant see it in disks, gparted, etc.
Cant understand WTF is happening.
If I boot the pc with Hrens boot disk (mini xp) then both hdds are visible.

Bugger - read the post now, too much Shiraz lol Reply and I'll look again tomoz!

Only thing of interest is kernel log, which you can see in /var/log/messages and with dmesg command. This probably gives you some background about why your drive seemingly goes unnoticed.

NTFS is not supported out of the box in RedHat. Don't know about lubuntu.
Could that be the problem?

Back