Hardware Faulty HDD?

Kryton

<font color="PINK">I LOVE PINK</font>
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been given a 2nd hand 3TB Western digital hard drive today.
I installed into my pc (windows 10), when I go into disk management it asks me to initialise the disk, so I chose GPT but I get an error saying the drive cannot be converted because the size is less than the minimum size required and I just get a bad function error when trying to initialise with MBR.
ive ran disk part to clean the drive and that says successful but it won't convert to GPT through disk part either.

in the BIOS it shows as 0kb in size and in disk management the allocated/unallocated box is completely blank with the left window showing "unknown drive" not initialised

5efkhy.jpg

I have AOMEI partition manager, that shows it as -7531.00KB and if I try to create a partition or format I get an error saying to many bad clusters.
so before I bin it, is this drive fooked or am I missing something?

it sounds fooked. any strange noises coming from it?

could possiblity be the computer can't read a drive over a certain size but the last time i came across that it was able to read up to the size it could. e.g the hardware could only read 1TB so if you stuck in a 3 TB drive you would only be able to see 1TB. That was a long while ago though.

is it a WD 3TB red, they have a 3 year warranty. check here for status

it sounds fooked. any strange noises coming from it?

could possiblity be the computer can't read a drive over a certain size but the last time i came across that it was able to read up to the size it could. e.g the hardware could only read 1TB so if you stuck in a 3 TB drive you would only be able to see 1TB. That was a long while ago though.

is it a WD 3TB red, they have a 3 year warranty. check here for status

Its the WD green.
it shows no space what so ever, the drive appears in the BIOS but just shows as 0KB.

i know disk manager will only see upto 2TB and that you have to initialise it as a GPT disk to see the whole 3TB but it wont intitialise. just keeps saying the disk size is to small for GPT.
but googling this error says anything over 2.2GB is ok for GPT.

i can set a partition to 2 and 3 TB with AOMEI but as soon as it starts to format i get the bad cluster error.
theres no strange noises and the pc is a fairly new I7 build so i wouldnt of thought it would of have problems seeing 3TB.

Tried it in a caddy on another pc too and i get "data error cyclic redundancy check" so now i am assuming its fooked.

nah id say it is definitly fooked but worth a try checking the warranty.

did you buy this or were you given it.

i noticed a lot of people selling used HDD on ebay. Some OS's like freeBSD can tell you when the drive is nearing the end of its life and i believe a lot of people sell them on ebay then as they know it will work for a month or 2 so the buyer will never know if was failing when sold.

nah id say it is definitly fooked but worth a try checking the warranty.

did you buy this or were you given it.

i noticed a lot of people selling used HDD on ebay. Some OS's like freeBSD can tell you when the drive is nearing the end of its life and i believe a lot of people sell them on ebay then as they know it will work for a month or 2 so the buyer will never know if was failing when sold.

I was given it mate, well i say given..i got it from work, they have just had a massive clear out of old printers , pc's etc, all destined for the skip and i noticed the HDD amongst them so i thought i could give it a new home :)

Might be that it is encrypted using WD's methods and requires WD SmartWare Software?

Might be that it is encrypted using WD's methods and requires WD SmartWare Software?

interesting.
would this throw back the bad cluster error when trying to format? i started a disk check on it and it showed over a 100 bad sectors in the first 15 minutes or so.

I know that if I forget my password, the disk is only accessible after erasure, mine are external USB HDDs. This erasure involves using Smartware software and getting the password wrong five times to invoke the option to erase. If yours is an internal HDD, I'm not at all sure how you can reset it. But there must be similar means, and as for bad sectors read this link
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

EaseUS is usually good software, but I can't say whether you'll get that drive to a ready state. It's worth a try, and Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies guys.

it was fooked, i went searching through the boxes ready to be chucked out and came across another which works fine.

also found a Lacie NAS with 2 x 1TB seagate hard drives fitted...happy days :)

Back