1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. DEAR Guest,

Thank you for your continued support, we have not moved software platforms since 2005!
    We was a keen vBulletin forum but vBulletin decided to make a bloated VB5 platform and drop support for VB4, We cannot continue to operate with thousands of visitors daily and a bloated software that is not supported.
    To our Long standing members we know this will be a challange and you might not like change, but please explore all options and give it a try, we will of course over the coming weeks try and bring back the items from vbulletin that you enjoyed the most.
    We have setup a thread for discussion and feedback here:

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/threads/xenforo-bug-and-request-thread.453707

Thank you!

lot of smoke on transit

Discussion in 'Cars and Vans' started by White Van Man, Sep 24, 2010.

1. White Van Man

White Van Man New Member

My van was losing water and took into a garage to have the water pump changed new tensioner and cam belt changed at the same time.Now in the mornings when i start from cold lots of smoke dark smoke out of exhaust and feels like it is running on 3 cylinders for about 30 secs then all clears up. it has never done this before.Anyone got any idea what this could be or is their something going to fail on me.It is the old smiley engine 2.5 lwb

2. ant1

ant1 New Member

sounds like a faulty injector

3. White Van Man

White Van Man New Member

are these hard to change or is it garage job

4. davidh

davidh <font color="RED">Administrator</font>

easy to change but then u would need it programming

5. Dutcho

Dutcho VIP POOF

It's more likley the heater plugs if it clears after 30 secs or so. To test them just the connections from them and touch a live wire to each one in turn at the top where you removed the cable from. If you get a spark then they work, crude method but works ;)

6. White Van Man

White Van Man New Member

i don't think their is any engine management system on these very basic diesel engine 1989 smiley.

7. White Van Man

White Van Man New Member

their is no wires on top of engine to heaters their is no heater warning light so not sure if this has heaters? unless i am missing something here

8. HORUS

HORUS Inactive User

there are no glow plugs on the 2.5 di
    also its a dynamic pump so injectors are dumb
    white smoke would say over leaking injector and or an injector cracking under lower presure
    also blue or black smoke would indicate burning oil
    maybe if its a turbo the oil is settling overnight and being sucked into bores on startup
    other symptoms could include manifiolds partially blocked with coke
    but i guess its a case of try swapping injectors or have them tested
    sometimes also fuel timing advance can cause problems too
    all in all very hard to diagnose without seing and hearing the van run
    but injectors and so on arnt coded so plug and play youl need either a 24mm deep sockett or a 27mm depending what system it has lucas or bosch

9. White Van Man

White Van Man New Member

Thanks m8 for the info will check all these in time but i have noticed their is a brass pipe that is in 2 sections that sit on each other one end connects to the exhaust manifold and the other at the top of the engine where air inflow goes (i haven't got a clue what it is or called)but was blowing alot out of it where the 2 brass pipes join each other.they sort of sit on a flange.well their is a piece missing hole in it.So will get one of these first before i do anything else.

10. bro

bro VIP Member

may be a good idea to take a picture of the brass pipe as it would refresh peeps brains who have delt with the same parts