Looks like City could pick up a few bargains

langland

Elite Member
Reaction score
Source is Sunday Mirror
Dimitar Berbatov will head a sensational clear-out of £80m of Manchester United talent at the end of the season.

Sir Alex Ferguson has run out of patience with the £30.75m striker after 18 months of inconsistent performances.

And the United boss is also looking to offload underachieving trio Anderson, Nani and Zoran Tosic as well as unsettled central defender Nemanja Vidic.

It will signal the biggest overhaul of a United squad since 1995 when Ferguson dumped Paul Ince, Andrei Kanchelskis, Mark Hughes to clear the way for youngsters like David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers.

The United boss believes he can finally land long-term target Karim Benzema following the Frenchman’s failure to settle at Real Madrid following his £30m summer transfer from Lyon.

But first he will look to raise cash by selling Berbatov, who has become the most expensive flop in Old Trafford history since moving from Tottenham.

The Bulgarian has scored just 20 goals in 66 appearances for United.

He has been carrying a knee injury that required an exploratory operation last month.

But while the blame for United’s shock FA Cup home defeat at the hands of League One Leeds last week has been widely placed on the shoulders of several of the club’s younger players, some fingers inside the club have also been pointed at Berbatov.

A United insider said: “The four midfield players got a lot of criticism after the Leeds game, but the biggest underperformer was Berbatov.

“People say he’s got a great touch, and that isn’t in doubt, but this game is also about hunger and workrate.

“To put it bluntly, Berbatov doesn’t run around enough for this United team – and it hasn’t gone unnoticed by the people that matter most.”

Nani, a £17m signing from Sporting Lisbon in 2007, is also on borrowed time after failing to even come close to grasping the opportunity to fill Cristiano Ronaldo’s boots.

The Portuguese winger has played just once since criticising Ferguson over a lack of first-team opportunities whilst away on international duty in early November, although he has been sidelined by a month by an ankle problem.

Nani, 23, was hoping the departure of Ronaldo would give him more scope to become United’s playmaker, but he has struggled to cope with the physical demands of the English game.

Anderson was substituted after failing to make an impact against Leeds and is another who has not given value for money after United paid Porto £18m for his services two years ago.

The Brazilian international feels he has not been given enough chances to impress in his favourite position as an attacking midfielder.

He said: “If I said I’m not disappointed things I’d be lying.

“Of course I’m disappointed because a player of my ability, who is used to playing at attacking role and scoring goals like I did at Porto, then it makes me sad.

“I have only scored one goal for the club, but I can’t be dispirited.

“My first goal has to be to get back to the condition I was in at Porto and to get a run of games like I did there.

“Then I want to start scoring goals and deciding games because that’s important for my career.”

Anderson, though, is running out of chances with Ferguson, who feels the 21-year-old’s development has stalled.

It’s a similar scenario with Tosic, who arrived from Partisan Belgrade with a terrific reputation for £7m but has made only a handful appearances and has struggled to settle in Manchester.

Vidic once again reiterated a desire to stay at Old Trafford during the week after dropping out of team to face Leeds with a late injury.

The Serbian has been targeted by Real Madrid, who are aware of United’s reluctance to reward Vidic with a new contract that would put him in line with the club’s £100,000-a-week top earners.

And Ferguson will allow the Spanish club to get their man if they show a willingness to pay more than £20m for a player who has struggled with fitness problems this season and will turn 29 in the autumn.

With Scholes hinting that he will retire at the end of the season and keeper Edwin van der Sar also considering his options, it promises to be a busy summer for United.

Ferguson have to take significant losses on Berbatov, Nani, Anderson and Tosic.

And that will put even more pressure on the Glazer family who own the club to come up with significant transfer funds whilst once again finding £70m to service the interest on the club’s £700m debts.

Last edited:
Nice to see the Mancs actually saying they've got crap players,maybe he should sign a team of refs and 4th officials.

cant they get rid of wellbeck and park at the same time lol

my thoughts exactly lol... keep anderson though and maybe nani who i still feel can do a job for us if the fans get off his back and let him play.

Source is Sunday Mirror
Dimitar Berbatov will head a sensational clear-out of £80m of Manchester United talent at the end of the season.
if they are as shite as people say then they arnt 80 million pound worth of talent

i do agree what a waste of time berbatov has been
i dont know what u lot sor in him

if they are as shite as people say then they arnt 80 million pound worth of talent

its not, £80m adds upto the total amount paid.

i do agree what a waste of time berbatov has been
i dont know what u lot sor in him

well the jury amongst the fans was on him right from the start especially with amount dished amount. the vast majority of fans includin myself didnt want him, woulda preffered tevez on a permanent deal or sign a saha type player who was quick, powerful and played on shoulder of the last man.

there's no doubt berba is a very, very good player but at the age of 27/28 it was always too late to change his game and his ways.... but he had to do that in order to win over his critics and he clearly hasnt. he may succeed elsewhere but i feel the old trafford stage is waaaay to big for him and the pressure has told with the price-tag and the comparisons to cantona.....

its not, £80m adds upto the total amount paid.

well the jury amongst the fans was on him right from the start especially with amount dished amount. the vast majority of fans includin myself didnt want him, woulda preffered tevez on a permanent deal or sign a saha type player who was quick, powerful and played on shoulder of the last man.

there's no doubt berba is a very, very good player but at the age of 27/28 it was always too late to change his game and his ways.... but he had to do that in order to win over his critics and he clearly hasnt. he may succeed elsewhere but i feel the old trafford stage is waaaay to big for him and the pressure has told with the price-tag and the comparisons to cantona.....
u would have been better off with tevez allways put in 100%

not like lazy arse

I still have faith in Berbatov and Nani but they just haven't been given a proper run especially Nani. Berbatov needs to raise his game he was in good form prior to his injury but now he is back to his old lazy self.

As for Welbeck and Park i think we would have to pay to get rid of them 2.

I still have faith in Berbatov and Nani but they just haven't been given a proper run especially Nani. Berbatov needs to raise his game he was in good form prior to his injury but now he is back to his old lazy self.

As for Welbeck and Park i think we would have to pay to get rid of them 2.

lmao if nani goes you will have to change your name again .. fabio121 ? pmsl

I am changing it to Welbeck lol hopefully the trend will continue and he will leave.

welbeck & park together... hopefully they'll leave together.................................................... and quickly lol

@nani: faith in berba - so did i at the start of the season, he had a rest, proper pre-season etc but seriously the guy has flopped big time... fergie's puttin on a brave face because of the money spent and deep down i think he knows. a £31m player not startin the champions league final is a very big clue...

tevez has just bagged a hat-trick for city, 15 goals so far this season, think berba has only got 7. people were sayin tevez doesnt score enough but neither has berba for us. both scored the same amount of goals for us last season, 14. so if we take out the goals issue, tevez offers everything that berba doesnt - desire, commitment, passion, hunger etc

fergie's wont admit it but not signin tevez was a HUGE mistake and signin berba was even bigger.

Tevez - £35m (inc £10m loan fee)
Berba - £31m

I know what i would have done..............

Last edited:
I agree with you mate but there is something about Berba just a feeling i have he will come good and i hope i am right but it doesn't look good although one thing about him is his goal scoring which is really poor but he is one player who won't ever win the majority of the fans over. The Champions league lets not even go there lol ffs Park started that game!

Tevez was too expensive but then so was Berba i don't think Fergie wanted him maybe there is a problem money wise after seeing todays figures we only made a profit because of the Ronaldo sale. Hopefully the glazers can fook off that is our biggest long term problem.

I would love to see Nani and Anderson given a 10 game run in the team to so we can see what they really are about where i think Anderson is ok i think Nani is on the edge and there was interest from Barcelona.

Players like Park and Welbeck need to go they would do well at clubs like Hull, Wigan and Burnley.

We need some quality in this squad and i do not agree with this 'no value in the market' we created such an insane market ourselves after demanding £80 million for Ronaldo how can we not be surprised people are demanding a bit more frrom us. We need a striker one who scores goals consistently not in patches like our World Class Wayne Rooney!

Time for these players to go:

Park, Welbeck (loan maybe), Gibson, Neville (retire too many injuries for the legend, Tosic (not given a chance so let him prove himself somewhere), Foster.

Bring in:

Angel Di Maria (Benfica, Winger who can play in middle and is a goal threat), Yoann Gourcuff ( Bordeaux, excellent playmaker who can score), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla, strong, quick and direct frontman).

welbeck & park together... hopefully they'll leave together.................................................... and quickly lol

@nani: faith in berba - so did i at the start of the season, he had a rest, proper pre-season etc but seriously the guy has flopped big time... fergie's puttin on a brave face because of the money spent and deep down i think he knows. a £31m player not startin the champions league final is a very big clue...

tevez has just bagged a hat-trick for city, 15 goals so far this season, think berba has only got 7. people were sayin tevez doesnt score enough but neither has berba for us. both scored the same amount of goals for us last season, 14. so if we take out the goals issue, tevez offers everything that berba doesnt - desire, commitment, passion, hunger etc

fergie's wont admit it but not signin tevez was a HUGE mistake and signin berba was even bigger.

Berba - £31m

Berba - £31m

M8 I'm a Spurs fan and I agree with you. The thing is Berba and Keane came as a duo and one without the other just don't work. Look at Keane when he went to L'Pool and even now he's back at Spurs. I think there must have been some sort of deal with Keane, L'Pool must have paid us to take him back! :proud:
Berba got too big for his boots and even things like not giving up smoking he got away with at Spurs but found Fergie a different kind of guy. I think he wants out TBH and if he does go we may well see an improvement. People keep saying Berba is lazy, I think thats misunderstood. He is the kind of player that just does not put in the work rate but makes up for that in his skill.

He is the kind of player that just does not put in the work rate but makes up for that in his skill.

absolute rubbish m8.. there is no substitute for hard work and u said it urself, he got away with things at spurs which he may not be gettin away with at utd. what makes it worse is that this guy is tevez's replacement and that is a bigger joke than the £31m price tag!

u say he makes up the lack of hard work in his skill.... what skill? i havent seen anything of real note where he's been fantastic. a few glimpses here and there isnt good enough for utd (may have been for spurs) and certainly isnt for £31m.

he's a striker, goals are what we want, goals are what we need. a £31m striker should be making those 0-0 & 1-1 games into 1-0's & 2-1's.

@ nani - m8 this guy needs to get it into his head that he has to adapt to utd's way, utd's philosphy.... not utd adapting to his game. u said u think he'll come good.... when?? into his 2nd season now at utd, 4th season in england, he should be producing the goods...

we know there's issue with money but we could have tied up tevez for £25m in the summer of 08 instead of spending £6m more on berba at the same and we coulda saved the ridiculous £80,000+ berba's getting paid on a weekly basis... that woulda been £10m saved just there and then...

fergie's cocked it up here and bar a dramatic berba revival in 2nd half of the season he's gona be a bigger flop then shevchenko. i just hope fergie realises he doesnt do it for utd and ships him at the end of his 2nd season like he did with veron again who was a very good player but just didnt fit in with us....

Last edited:
Fabiano is a good player and hes interested in Man United but his price is high and for a player nearing 30, its just not worth the risk. Benzema would be a good buy, hes good and still young, think he would do well at United.
Berbatov had a few games where he looked like he was getting to the point where he could show wat he could do, then fooker gets injured and its back at square 1. Let's see what happens after he has his knee surgery and recovers, but im not expecting anything

I really dont kno wat went through Fergie's mind when he signed Berbatov, I was certain he was gonna sign Tevez but i didnt think he was worth 25.5 mill plus the 10mill of loan fee...but if he keeps scoring and assisting at this rate he will be worth the cash.

Last edited:
i didnt think he was worth 25.5 mill plus the 10mill of loan fee...but if he keeps scoring and assisting at this rate he will be worth the cash.

considerin berba cost £31m, an extra 4.5m woulda been nothing and worth every penny. a consistent run of games increases confidence and reaps rewards and results as tevez proved in the last 6months at west ham, in 1st season at utd and in the 1st half of the season so far.... if good player is given a chance over a period of time, he will produce....

last season he was in out, in out.... 15-20 mins as sub in so many games, if he started he'd be taken out after 65-70 mins... hows a player meant to get into a rhythm?? yet he still managed the same amount of goals as berba...

considerin berba cost £31m, an extra 4.5m woulda been nothing and worth every penny. a consistent run of games increases confidence and reaps rewards and results as tevez proved in the last 6months at west ham, in 1st season at utd and in the 1st half of the season so far.... if good player is given a chance over a period of time, he will produce....

last season he was in out, in out.... 15-20 mins as sub in so many games, if he started he'd be taken out after 65-70 mins... hows a player meant to get into a rhythm?? yet he still managed the same amount of goals as berba...

Tevez was never satisfied being a squad member and deep down Fergies mind was made up in January.

absolute rubbish m8.. there is no substitute for hard work and u said it urself, he got away with things at spurs which he may not be gettin away with at utd. what makes it worse is that this guy is tevez's replacement and that is a bigger joke than the £31m price tag!

u say he makes up the lack of hard work in his skill.... what skill? i havent seen anything of real note where he's been fantastic. a few glimpses here and there isnt good enough for utd (may have been for spurs) and certainly isnt for £31m.

he's a striker, goals are what we want, goals are what we need. a £31m striker should be making those 0-0 & 1-1 games into 1-0's & 2-1's.

When you first heard that Fergie was after Berba, what was your reaction? were you happy? did you think he was a very skilled player?

When you first heard that Fergie was after Berba, what was your reaction? were you happy? did you think he was a very skilled player?

i always said that although we needed a striker berba wasnt the one... someone liked saha is what we needed and for me benzema was the one. after all fergie did try signin him before he moved to madrid so if he didnt want tevez why not go for benzema instead of berba in summer 08?? ive never doubted berba's ability, think he's technically a very, very good footballer but he just doesnt do it for utd. he did very well at spurs and he may succeed elsewhere...

goals win u matches, currently we're not scoring and sufferin as a result. berba's a striker, who should be scoring... the amount of times the ball is crossed and berba is chillin on the wing or outside the box is unbelievable! we as fans arent askin him to score a hat- trick every game, or even score 1 every game. what we want is a contribution, not thru goals then assists, not thru assists then work-rate and commitment whereby him runnin his socks off will create opportunities for others to capitalise on.... but we're not gettin any of this...

Back